KB905474 update RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently manually downloaded from the MSU site the KB905474 update ((WGA notification software). I thought it was just an update to the WGA tool. I was subsequently disappointed to learn this was actually beta software. At no time was there any warning of this fact. I never install beta software, and certainly did not expect that a Recommended, or High Priority update would fall in this category. Had I read the EULA, I would have seen the words "Pre-release software" and would have cancelled the update, but again I have always trusted  and installed Critical, Recommended, and High Priority updates from MS without reading the EULA. Not any more.

I have read the previous posts where "Pre-release" is interpreted by you as a limited and targeted release, rather than a beta release. I'm sorry, but it still sounds like a test release to me.

Just to be clear on this, I understand and agree with the need for the WGA tool. And I haven't had any problems with the KB905474 update. My beef is that I was made a test subject for a pre-release program without the usual warnings. Should that update cause any problems, I have no way of uninstalling it. And in future, under no circumstances will I use Automatic Updates, or install any updates without a careful read of the EULA.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 11:38 PM

All replies

• Joe:

Thank you for the comment.  While the Genuine Advantages pilot was called a pre-release, it is in not beta software.  We understand from your post that because the notice of pre-release was in the EULA it was not noticed by you and that you normally just accept those updates.   That is good feedback and I can assure you that it will be shared with the product planning team as we evaluate this pilot.  We appreciate the feedback and apologize for the confusion.

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 5, 2006 6:40 PM