WHS install freezes... RRS feed

• Question

• at 34 minutes remaining. i'm using the 120 day trial version on an AOpen AXT-4 MB with all the minimum spec reached for the hardware. All drives are seen. I think it may be the video card because since the display freezes. this is the second one i've built and the 1st i had no issues but it was different hardware. the AOpen mb doesn't have onboard video so there is an old ATI Radeon 7000 one of the PCI slots that i'm using for the display. How can i find out what is making the install stop?

Friday, September 26, 2008 6:43 PM

Answers

• ncinsguy said:

r u saying it's prolly the vid card that's causing the problem?

I'm just basing it on your suspicions that it's your video card.  Honestly, it could be bad RAM/overheating/power supply or almost any other hardware component.  Have you stripped it down to only using the bare essentials to install (one drive, only necessary PCI cards, etc)?
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:20 PM
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    do you have any other PCI cards in the system?
    Remove them temporary or relocate them if you still need them.
    For the Video card try another PCI slot to exclude conflicts of exactly this slot with some onboard hardware or another card.
    If you can, try also a different video adapter (cannot exclude, that this is broken).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:58 PM
  • no other pci devices so i'll move the card to a different slot as you have suggested thanks.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:13 PM
  • moved to another slot with same result anything else i can try?
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:28 PM
  • ncinsguy said:

moved to another slot with same result anything else i can try?

You might have to try another video card.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:29 AM
  • r u saying it's prolly the vid card that's causing the problem?
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:12 AM
  • ncinsguy said:

r u saying it's prolly the vid card that's causing the problem?

I'm just basing it on your suspicions that it's your video card.  Honestly, it could be bad RAM/overheating/power supply or almost any other hardware component.  Have you stripped it down to only using the bare essentials to install (one drive, only necessary PCI cards, etc)?
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:20 PM
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:27 AM
  • i've tried it with one drive and the vid card is the only pci device.  i found another vid card i'm gonna try in it later.  all the hardware was working properly in xp so how likely is it that it could be something else?
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Have you verified that there are drivers for this hardware?  Perhaps this hardware does not support windows server 2003.  I have not looked at it myself but perhaps.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Enchanter said:

Have you verified that there are drivers for this hardware?  Perhaps this hardware does not support windows server 2003.  I have not looked at it myself but perhaps.

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.

i didn't know how to verify that drivers were available for my hardware.  i ended up using another system with an onboard vid card and the installation just finished.  thanks for all the help.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:20 PM
  • I usually head over to the mfg website and see what drivers are available for my hardware.  This will usually be a good indication if it supports windows server 2003 or not.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 3.15 tbs.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:22 PM