Can't get rid of missing drive in backups RRS feed

• Question

• I Have 3 machine connected to my server and two of them backup fine however with the third (Gryphon) I recently added some HDDs and changed the name of one that was originally installed in it. The problem I'm seeing is that the D(IMAGE) drive no longer exists per se it was renamed D(one) but now the image drive is listed as missing when the server backs up this machine. I have removed it and the users connected with it and re connected it when I configure backups on it it does not show the renamed driveas DIMAGE but as the new name D(one) but when it does a backup it shows two D: drives the D(IMAGE) drive and the D(one) drive so it is always showing a problem with the backup. I even tried removing the machine and the users then re-naming the machine to Hobbit and connecting it but it still sees the D(IMAGE) drive when it does a back even though this drive does not show up when configuring the backup. Don't know what to try from here. I have ScreenShots but don't know if I can put them anywhere.

Stu

SAS

Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:03 AM

Answers

•  STUOUTLAW wrote:

I Have 3 machine connected to my server and two of them backup fine however with the third (Gryphon) I recently added some HDDs and changed the name of one that was originally installed in it. The problem I'm seeing is that the D(IMAGE) drive no longer exists per se it was renamed D(one) but now the image drive is listed as missing when the server backs up this machine. I have removed it and the users connected with it and re connected it when I configure backups on it it does not show the renamed driveas DIMAGE but as the new name D(one) but when it does a backup it shows two D: drives the D(IMAGE) drive and the D(one) drive so it is always showing a problem with the backup. I even tried removing the machine and the users then re-naming the machine to Hobbit and connecting it but it still sees the D(IMAGE) drive when it does a back even though this drive does not show up when configuring the backup. Don't know what to try from here. I have ScreenShots but don't know if I can put them anywhere.

Stu

SAS

If you don't care about the old backups:

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=1896244&siteid=50&mode=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

That might help...

Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:47 AM

All replies

•  STUOUTLAW wrote:

I Have 3 machine connected to my server and two of them backup fine however with the third (Gryphon) I recently added some HDDs and changed the name of one that was originally installed in it. The problem I'm seeing is that the D(IMAGE) drive no longer exists per se it was renamed D(one) but now the image drive is listed as missing when the server backs up this machine. I have removed it and the users connected with it and re connected it when I configure backups on it it does not show the renamed driveas DIMAGE but as the new name D(one) but when it does a backup it shows two D: drives the D(IMAGE) drive and the D(one) drive so it is always showing a problem with the backup. I even tried removing the machine and the users then re-naming the machine to Hobbit and connecting it but it still sees the D(IMAGE) drive when it does a back even though this drive does not show up when configuring the backup. Don't know what to try from here. I have ScreenShots but don't know if I can put them anywhere.

Stu

SAS

If you don't care about the old backups:

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=1896244&siteid=50&mode=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

That might help...

Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:47 AM
  • Renaming the machine won't work. WHS doesn't identify enrolled PCs that way; it looks like it identifies them by MAC address.

Renaming or removing a drive causes problems because the WHS backup utility seems to retain information about the state of the drives on a system, and once it sees and backs up a drive, it expects it to always be there.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:09 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Renaming the machine won't work. WHS doesn't identify enrolled PCs that way; it looks like it identifies them by MAC address.

Renaming or removing a drive causes problems because the WHS backup utility seems to retain information about the state of the drives on a system, and once it sees and backs up a drive, it expects it to always be there.

Ken,

We really need a doc of the mothed of WHS backup and the rules WHS apply to it when thing change.

Many as myself, still walking in the dark about the complete details that need to know.

My best.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:28 AM
  •  

Hi Stuotlaw

What program are you using to backup?  If it is anything like Backup Exec, before you remove any drives that are getting backed up you first have to delete them from the scheduled backup job then remove the drive.

Tekdawg

Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:13 AM
  •  abobader wrote:
    We really need a doc of the mothed of WHS backup and the rules WHS apply to it when thing change.
    Don't look at me; I don't have that information (see my sig). All I can tell you is what I've observed in my testing.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:50 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
     abobader wrote:
    Don't look at me; I don't have that information (see my sig). All I can tell you is what I've observed in my testing.

Ken, yes I know re "not with the whs team" issue even before you put it in your sig.

But I ask, maybe you come cross this or similar issue from a link or something, and sure it will help a lots.

My best.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:52 PM