Vista Activation Issue - How to fix it. RRS feed

• Question

• My motherboard crapped out. They no longer make the motherboard, so I had to get another.Now Vista won't activate - it says the copy I bought from NewEgg is in use - I am illegal. I looked up the EULA and it turns out I can't change motherboards - they want me to buy another copy.

I installed Ubuntu 11 last night on 200 gig of my 1 terabyte drive. It installed fine, detected my wireless card and video card. I was on the internet in 10 minutes, downloaded Google Chromium (Linux version), found an MP3 encoder and was listening to my MP3s a couple of minutes later. Next I downloaded VLC, checked my videos and they worked fine. Plugged the HDMI cable in the video card and was watching Hulu on the TV - I didn't have to set up any display options - it worked. Windows was a headache to get the monitors to work properly.

I was going to call M$ and argue that I really hadn't changed computers and to please let me activate Vista, but I don't need them anymore. Ubuntu is fast, looks good and has all the apps I need to use. And my Windows files are fine - I can still access them. I am thinking about setting up VMWare to run some old windows apps or trying out Wine, but I am very happy with the new Ubuntu. I would like to tell M$ where they can put their activation code, but what is the point. They never listened to me before.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hello jim denny,

Depending on what version of Windows you bought from Newegg will dictate whether you can change out the Motherboard or not.

OEM System Builder: these are the lower cost version of Windows, The main reasons the OEM version of Windows cost less is because it provides no free support from Microsoft and because the Licensing only allows for the Windows to be used on the first PC it is installed on.  Meaning the Windows is Tied to the first PC it is installed on and (as far as licensing is concerned) the motherboard is the main component that identifies a unique individual PC. Change the Motherboard and a new PC is created.

Retail: These are the full price version of Windows. The main reasons the Retail versions of Windows cost more is because they provide the Free support (90 days, I believe) from Microsoft and the Licensing allows the Windows to be moved to any number of PCs (as long as it is only installed on one PC at a time).

So,

-If the Windows you bought from Newegg was OEM, then yes, you are correct, the Windows license died with the Motherboard and you would need to get a new copy.

-If the Windows you bought from Newegg was Retail, then to resolve your issue, you just need to reactivate your Windows using the Activate by Phone method and you will be good to go.

Thank you,

Darin MS

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hello jim denny,

Depending on what version of Windows you bought from Newegg will dictate whether you can change out the Motherboard or not.

OEM System Builder: these are the lower cost version of Windows, The main reasons the OEM version of Windows cost less is because it provides no free support from Microsoft and because the Licensing only allows for the Windows to be used on the first PC it is installed on.  Meaning the Windows is Tied to the first PC it is installed on and (as far as licensing is concerned) the motherboard is the main component that identifies a unique individual PC. Change the Motherboard and a new PC is created.

Retail: These are the full price version of Windows. The main reasons the Retail versions of Windows cost more is because they provide the Free support (90 days, I believe) from Microsoft and the Licensing allows the Windows to be moved to any number of PCs (as long as it is only installed on one PC at a time).

So,

-If the Windows you bought from Newegg was OEM, then yes, you are correct, the Windows license died with the Motherboard and you would need to get a new copy.

-If the Windows you bought from Newegg was Retail, then to resolve your issue, you just need to reactivate your Windows using the Activate by Phone method and you will be good to go.

Thank you,

Darin MS

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:27 PM
  •  

No offense Darin; I realize that you don't make your companies policies, but the above is total Horse Cr4p.

Suppose I have a 4 DVD players: one for the bedroom, one for the Living room, one for travel and one for a home theater system.  

If I buy a DVD from Disney, does that mean I only have the right to watch the movie on the Living Room?  No  

If I mod my DVD player somehow, does the DVD stop working?

No (unless I change region - which is also horse cr4p)

Likewise, if I pay for an OS, an application, a game, I should be able to use it on any computer that I have in my household (I understand the reasoning for business licensing, that's another issue), the EULA in this case is bad business.

I'm having the same problem as Jim Denny except that I didn't change motherboards.  My wife and I got a copy of Vista Ultimate through the Ultimate steal program when she was still in school.  It worked fine until I had to re-install it due to a pesky virus that was causing major slow-down.

After the re-install, Vista formatted an unrelated drive (turned NTFS into RAW - not even the HD to which I was installing),which was an unnecessary waste of my time, I started to run into the "activation" problems.  The difference with me is that I didn't change ANYTHING on the computer hardware-wise.

Seriously, I know piracy is a problem, but my software is genuine, and I'm getting sick of being called a pirate by MS.  Just like the rest of the people did in 2007.

The biggest reason I haven't bought Win 7 is because of how MS treated their Vista customers.

Monday, June 27, 2011 11:12 PM
  • "DaversD" wrote in message news:a0450887-2315-4546-8b0c-846b6368e2d9...

I'm having the same problem as Jim Denny except that I didn't change motherboards.  My wife and I got a copy of Vista Ultimate through the Ultimate steal program when she was still in school.  It worked fine until I had to re-install it due to a pesky virus that was causing major slow-down.

After the re-install, Vista formatted an unrelated drive (turned NTFS into RAW - not even the HD to which I was installing),which was an unnecessary waste of my time, I started to run into the "activation" problems.  The difference with me is that I didn't change ANYTHING on the computer hardware-wise.

Seriously, I know piracy is a problem, but my software is genuine, and I'm getting sick of being called a pirate by MS.  Just like the rest of the people did in 2007.

The biggest reason I haven't bought Win 7 is because of how MS treated their Vista customers.

Please repost your own problem to your OWN NEW thread - and include an MGADiag report.
    All non-genuine events look the same until you look under the hood with the tool - and then there are very significant differences, which lead to very different solutions.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:37 AM