Using Console to connect to two WHSs RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a second WHS.  Is there a way to access BOTH using the WHS Console app????
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:22 PM

Answers

• The connector software can only connect to one Home Server. If you want to manage the other server you can:

1. install the connector on another client, select the second server during installation
    2. on the current client run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to connect to another server
    3. use remote desktop to connect to the second server (username=adminstrator, password=WHS console password), then run the console from the server desktop
    • Marked as answer by rctaubert Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:45 PM
  • You could also install a virtual PC and use that to connect to the second server (although Remote Desktop is more easy, such a virtual client would allow you to access also the backups for single file restore).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:47 PM

All replies

• The connector software can only connect to one Home Server. If you want to manage the other server you can:

1. install the connector on another client, select the second server during installation
    2. on the current client run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to connect to another server
    3. use remote desktop to connect to the second server (username=adminstrator, password=WHS console password), then run the console from the server desktop
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:45 PM
  • You could also install a virtual PC and use that to connect to the second server (although Remote Desktop is more easy, such a virtual client would allow you to access also the backups for single file restore).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Looks like #3 is the only viable solution for the moment.  For some reason Discovery, although it shows both servers, gives me the following messge: "This operation cannot be completed at this time."

Hopefully MS will allow for this in the future.  I am sure there are not a lot of homes with two WHSs, but I have read of a few.

My purpose is to use the primary server for backups and shared files and to use the secondary for family web sites.

Thank you
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  It looks as if Remote Desktop works best for me.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:17 PM