SRS DATA Connector issue on SQL 2005 SQL cluster RRS feed

• General discussion

• I hope the MBS support team and the product group comment on this.  

First off, the installation and planning guide for CRM 4.0 do say that named instances are supported.  Also SQL clusters are mentioned but I have not found a good deal of information about them in the documentation. 

Except for the fact that the SRS data connector needs to be installed from the CLR on the server that is running SRS, after having made the needed changes to the XML file, on a named instance, there is little warning about clustered servers.

In one of my client's case that is a Mission Critical Cluster.   Patients depend on the databases on this server for some life support monitoring.

So that is really "Mission Critical".  I was working with the Admin, but it's a big IT dept.

I walked him through the install of the connector.  

He was accessing the server via RDP.   

The cluster is running on Win2003 SP1.

SQL 2005 is the SQL version.

During the install of the .net framework update we were disconnected.

We reconnect and attempt again.

We are disconnected again.

Then we see that the cluster is down.

Yes, the IT dept. was very concerned.

I looked at the cluster nodes and the logs and saw clearly that the install shut down the cluster service on both nodes.

It did not make the upgrade look good or make MSFT look very good.

So I'm doing damage control today. Moving the SRS role to the CRM 4.0 server.

Sure enough, the SRS Data connector will not install.

I will post the error in another thread.

But there seem to be dangerous issues with SQL clusters.

I hope that MSFT looks into this.   I will be in touch with MBS support today.

/:<

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Curtis

I am just curious to know if you managed to get the answer to the problem and if things are working now?

Thank You

Otto Beekman

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:42 AM
  •  

I was able to get the cluster back up with in ten minutes.  But SRS was installed on another server and the connector was installed there.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:40 AM