WHST TrayApp dissappears after each start up RRS feed

Answers

• When you say "disappears" do you mean that it starts, then stops almost immediately? Or do you mean that it never starts? If the latter, you may have removed it accidentally from your startup group.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:46 PM

All replies

• When you say "disappears" do you mean that it starts, then stops almost immediately? Or do you mean that it never starts? If the latter, you may have removed it accidentally from your startup group.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:46 PM
  • I've got the same problem.  The system boots but the the application doesn't show up in the tray.  It works fine my on my Vista system but not on my XP Pro SP3 system.  Task Manager shows that the application is running.  I haven't had a chance yet to verify that backups have completed.  I believe it did this pre-PP1 as well as post-PP1.  Weirdly enough, when I installed PP1 on the server, the client upgraded itself and showed up in the system tray.  When the system rebooted, it's no longer in the tray.

Likely related, but beats me as to why, this is not the only application that is no longer in the system tray.  MWSnap does the same thing.  Both USED to appear just fine.  I'm guessing that it may have been SP3 that broke it but since it's my wife's desktop and she doesn't complain as often as she should, I don't know exactly when it started.

I'd sure like to hear about a cure for this...

Thanks,

.../Ed

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:07 PM
  • You are quite right!  I removed it from the Startup Group!  Thank you.

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:27 PM
  •  

My issue is that the tray app was running but not showing in the notification area.

I tracked it down to the anti-virus software I had installed.  Both AVG and Avast! have similar issues - which apps fail to show up in the tray vary, but both are buggy.  I removed both and installed Norton 360 and the problem has gone away for me.  My Vista system already had Norton 360 which is likely why it didn't exhibit the problem when the XP system did.

.../Ed

Saturday, July 26, 2008 12:01 AM