sftp server RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a native sftp server in Vail or do we have to use a third party solution?
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:51 PM

Answers

• See this . I'll note that installation of an FTP server on Vail is technically not going to be supported by Microsoft.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:22 PM

All replies

• See this . I'll note that installation of an FTP server on Vail is technically not going to be supported by Microsoft.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:22 PM

IIS 7.5 supports FTPS or FTP over SSL, not SFTP or Secure FTP (there's a HUGE difference). That being said, FTPS works quite well for me on Vail. I used to use FTP access for larger files for family members who got a local user on my server but took it down after I started getting worried about security -- nothing scarier than sending passwords over the net in plain text!

If you're set on SFTP as your solution (which runs much slower on most boxes for transfer rate) then I'd go with installing cygwin. If you're not a Linux geek, you can use something like CopSSH or any other Secure Shell (SHH) server for windows as I haven't seen one yet that doesn't support SFTP.

Regardless of which way you go, neither integrates directly with the WHS Dashboard. I'm sure that will change in the near future, however. If it doesn't, I'll write a plugin for the FTPS support myself!

• Edited by Traek Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:22 PM Forgot to include quote!
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:20 PM
  • IIS 7.5 supports FTPS or FTP over SSL, not SFTP or Secure FTP (there's a HUGE difference). That being said, FTPS works quite well for me on Vail. I used to use FTP access for larger files for family members who got a local user on my server but took it down after I started getting worried about security -- nothing scarier than sending passwords over the net in plain text!

If you're set on SFTP as your solution (which runs much slower on most boxes for transfer rate) then I'd go with installing cygwin. If you're not a Linux geek, you can use something like CopSSH or any other Secure Shell (SHH) server for windows as I haven't seen one yet that doesn't support SFTP.

Regardless of which way you go, neither integrates directly with the WHS Dashboard. I'm sure that will change in the near future, however. If it doesn't, I'll write a plugin for the FTPS support myself!

I highly doubt MS will add anything to the Dashboard in regards to any type of FTP (secure or otherwise).  I don't think it's in their vision for how the remote connectivity should work (that's what the RA website is for).  As for add-ins, well you already answered your own comment.  :)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 7:24 PM
    If it doesn't, I'll write a plugin for the FTPS support myself!

Please do! See over in the add-ins and developers forum, where Dileep from Microsoft has posted about a white paper he published on Connect recently. The new Vail extensibility model is vastly superior to the V1 model, because it allows you to really integrate your add-ins with the dashboard.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 9:34 PM