Moving To a New Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Having hardware problems (system constantly re-booting), and after much grief I've decided to replace the motherboard (a new processor and memory as well) and the boot drive.  The system "works" (sort of - it constantly re-boots), so I think I can make an appropriate backup.  I do have Acronis True Image 2012 installed, and also have Partition Magic installed currently.  One of the existing internal drives has been set up for server backup (using the WHS 2011 dashboard).  I mention this because I wish to show that I have various options available to me for backing up and re-sizing partitions.

I have a 160 GB VelociRaptor drive I would like to use as a boot drive.  I also have a 1TB and a 1.5 TB drive internally, and two external RAID boxes (on eSata).  I would rather have a 160 GB boot drive (rather than a 60 GB and 100 GB partition on that VelociRaptor).

How best to achieve this migration?  Can I simply restore the system partition from a backup (which one - the native WHS backup or Acronis?) to the new hard drive and then re-size that partition to occupy the entire 160 GB drive (using Partition Magic)?  What about drivers for the new motherboard?  Do I need to de-activate the WHS before doing this (so it can be re-activated following the migration)?

Ronald W Lyster

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 11:45 PM