LCS 2005 EE SP1 - Multiple Pools on same Database Server Instance RRS feed

• Question

• Successfully implemented LCS 2005 EE SP1. We are now in a process of introducing LCS Director Role based on LCS 2005 EE SP1 in the deployment. My question is that how to create a second pool for the director "dirpool" on the same SQL Instance that is hosting EnterPrise Pool as well. I see no option for defining the database name. The only option we get is to provide the location. Please help.

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:45 AM

Answers

•  

You cannot host two pools in same SQL server as one instance of SQL server can have only one pool.

You can install director on LCS SE. in that case you dont need a SQL server.

Ram K Ojha
    MCSE 2003 - Messaging, MCTS- (LCS 2005 & OCS 2007)
    http://www.OCSPedia.com
    http://www.ITCentrics.com
    Friday, February 8, 2008 7:49 PM

All replies

•  

You cannot host two pools in same SQL server as one instance of SQL server can have only one pool.

You can install director on LCS SE. in that case you dont need a SQL server.

Ram K Ojha
    MCSE 2003 - Messaging, MCTS- (LCS 2005 & OCS 2007)
    http://www.OCSPedia.com
    http://www.ITCentrics.com
    Friday, February 8, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Thnaks Ram. I have one more issue here are the details:

My Internal Domain name is different from external. I have to sign in user using external domain name.

Clarification:

Internal Domain = contoso.msft

External Domain = northwindtraders.com

User SIP URI = test1@northwindtraders.com

Infrastructure:

1) Created two enterprise pools using two sql instances. one for Enterprise User Home Pool and other is for the director with no users homes

2) Deployed array of Enterprise Pool Servers and activated them with Enterprise User Home Pool

3) Deployed array of Director servers based on LCS 2005 EE SP1 and activated them against Director Pool

4) Deployed Access proxy server

Certificates as follows:

Enterprise Pool FQDN: epool01.contoso.msft

Certificate Issued: epool01.contoso.msft

Director Pool FQDN = dirpool.contoso.msft

Certificate Issued = dirpool.northwindtraders.com

Access Proxy (WorkGroup.Local) and DNS Suffix = northwindtraders.com

Certificate for Internal: ap01.northwindtraders.com

Certificate for External edge: sip.northwindtranders.com

Ports:

EPOOL01.contoso.msft = 5061 MTLS

DIRPOOL.Northwindtraders.com = 5061 MTLS

AP01.Northwindtraders.com 5061

SIP.Northwindtraders.com = 5061

Configuration:

Forest Level:

Federation = dirpool.northwindtraders.com - 5061

Access Proxy = ap01.northwindtraders.msft

EPOOL01

Override Federation = Blank

DIRPOOL

Override Federation = ap01.northwindtraders.msft 5061

Access Proxy

Next Hop = dirpool.northwindtraders.msft

Authorized Servers = Server FQDN for LCS Directors

Public = listening on 5061 with remote access and federation allowed

Private = listening on port 5061

Issue

1) Able to connect via communicator client using dirpool.northwindtraders.com (no issues)

2) Cannot connect via Access Proxy (sip.northwindtraders.msft) tried every thing. It asks for user authentication but does not sign in

3) Bypassed Director and configured Access Proxy next hop to backend EPool01.contoso.msft. Able to connect.

Please advice what is missing when i connect via Access Proxy ====> Dirpool =====> EPool01

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:27 AM
  •  

Does MS officially support multiple SQL instances? That way one SQL server could host front-end pools as well as one or two pools for directors?
    Monday, February 11, 2008 7:42 PM
  •  

To follow up on my last question, the pool creation wizard does allow you to specify the server and instance name. So if one physical SQL server had two or more instances, can LCS successfully communicate with each unique database instance? I understand a single SQL instance can only support one database. If the wizard allows you to specify the pool database instance name, it would seem to follow that one physical server could have two or more instances assuming the proper instance names were used during the pool creation.

I haven't found any documentation that states LCS 2005 SP1 will not function if pools are distributed across multiple instances on a single physical SQL server. If there is such documentation, I'd love a reference! I've only seen references stating that a single instance can only support a single enterprise pool, which makes sense.

Thanks!

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:09 PM