locked
CRM 2011: Modifications to Fields in an Entity did not come over in the solution. RRS feed

  • Question

  • We've been making changes to an entity in a solution and some of the following modifications did not come over when we deployed the solution to another server.  Is there something we might be missing that didn't bring these? If I open the solution on the development server, then view this items, the changes are there.  I then export the solution and import it on a test server.  When I open the solution and view this items, the changes are not there.  The changes have not been applied and apparently are not contained with the solution.  We have dozens of other changes and customizations that came over without any issues.  It's just a few that did not.  They all seem related to the entity fields.

    Can anyone offer me some idea of what we might be missing here?  Maybe another item to include in the solution?  We are only on rollup-13, as we are waiting until after this release to rollup to the latest.  So if there were issues in 13, 14, of 15 related to this, we might just need to get the lastest rollup to resolve this.

    Here's a few things we noticed that didn't come across.

    1. We modified the contact entity's territory field to display "Branch" instead of territory.  This change did not come through in the solution, but the change is there is the solution on our dev server.
    2. This branch field was changed to read-only on the contact form.  The read-only setting did not come through.
    3. On the contact entity fields the a field called "relationship type" was modified and we remove a number of avaialble values from the list of values to select from.  But when this showed up on the new server, these modifications were not there and the origional list was still there. 

    Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

    Best regards,

    Jon


    Jon Gregory Rothlander

    Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:25 PM

All replies

  • Was this a managed or unmanaged solution export/import?

    If it was managed, did you select Overwrite my customization while importing?

    Also, I have seen this before that if you import a picklist with lesser values than the target, the target retains the existing ones.

    When you modified the contact entity, did you make sure that you actually modified from within the solution that you wanted to export?

    Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:43 PM
  • Importing CRM Solution on target does not delete any component (entity, attributes, relationships, picklist items) from target environment.

    So if you have having picklist with less values that target, import will simply add what is newly added values to picklist, it will not delete the existing items which are not there in source customization. 

    You have to delete it explicitly in target environment. 

    HTH


    MaKeer | myencounterwithcrm.wordpress.com | CRM2011 User Settings Utility | CRM2011 Lookup Preview | CRM2011 Lookup Attribute Mapping | CRM2011 TreeView Control (Beta) | CRM2011 N:N Entity View (Beta) | CRM 2011 Global Quick Search (Beta)

    Friday, April 25, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Thanks for you suggestions.  What we did remove a couple of new items to the picklist and they did not come over... or at least they did not get removed.  I am working within an unmanaged solution. 

    The picklist issues make sense, but the others do not.  For example, changing the display text of a field seems like that should come over.


    Jon Gregory Rothlander


    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestions.  I think the picklist changes not coming over, that makes some sense.  However, the display text on the field and changing another field to read-only, those seems like it should have come over.  I am working in an unmanaged solution.

    Jon Gregory Rothlander

    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:19 PM