Network Share RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use One Care backup for my wireless laptop to back up to a hard drive that is connected to the USB port on my router.  My laptop sees the hard drive with its drives in My Computer and I can access these files from my laptop.  At least it looks like I can access the desktop backup already completed.  But One Care Backup says it cannot send the files to one of these drives because Network Share is not set up.  When I try to select the drive hooked up to the router to change the Sharing and Security drop down when I right click the drive the Sharing and Security option is not there but the option is listed for all the other drives on my desktop.   How can I set up or install Network Share to this hard drive connected to my router?  Frank C. 
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 12:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• This post explains how to set up a network share on an internal drive but you can use it as a guide to set up a network share on your external drive - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/22258a6a-3e94-4ac2-a3e7-b21683fb913c
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Sorry, my fault.  Before I posted my message I did find this item you are indicating. I tried to follow the steps and when the steps were different I tried to take steps similiar to my OS.  I forgot to mention to you in my initial post that I have Windows XP Professional not VISTA.     Frank C. 
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Sorry, my fault.  Before I posted my message I did find this item you are indicating. I tried to follow the steps and when the steps were different I tried to take steps similiar to my OS.  I forgot to mention to you in my initial post that I have Windows XP Professional not VISTA.     Frank C. 
    Create your Share following the steps here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_august13.mspx

If you create a folder on your second internal drive (or drive that appears to be an internal drive) and call it Backups, then share that folder. Give it a name when you create the share.

In OneCare, the network location is then specified like this:  \\computer\share where computer is the name of the computer seen in Windows Networking and share is the Share name when you browse the networked PC. Within the Share can be one or more folders.
    Permissions must be set for everyone to have full read/write/delete access to the Share.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Thanks for your expansive reply.  In trying to follow the instructions I've made a folder on the hard drive connected by USB to my Belkin Wireless N+ router but when I right click this folder or any other folder on this hard drive there is no Sharing and Security selection in the right click drop down list.  This hard drive already has a One Care backup on it but this folder as any other on this drive does not contain the Sharing and Security item in the right click drop down box.  
    I was able to use this hard drive as a One Care backup when I had the hard drive connected by USB directly to the computer but now I cannot if I have it USB connected to the Belkin router.  I would think this may be a problem for Belkin to consider and I will also contact them (actually I have already) but then maybe Microsoft and Belkin need to share this problem for all I know.  I've checked many folders on other drives and partitions on my computer and every folder I right clicked on has a Sharing and Security option in the right click drop down list box.  Thanks for your help.  I'll check back to see if you have any further suggestions.    Frank C. 
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:41 PM
  • I'm sorry that I overlooked that in your previous posts. Since the drive is connected to your router, it is actually a Network Attached Storage device and that means that there is software in your router than manages the access to that drive. Check with Belkin regarding the proper method for setting permissions on the drive and how that drive is accessed over the network.
    If accessing the drive requires software to be installed on your PC, then they are using some "trickery" to make the drive appear to be an internal drive, but that may cause problems with it being used as a backup destination in OneCare.
    Personally, I'd consider putting the drive back into position as a USB connected drive if you only plan to use it with OneCare. On the other hand, since OneCare is going away, you may want to being investigating alternate backup solutions that will work with your drive when attached to the router as a NAS and avoid having to deal with that in the future. Using a NAS as a backup destination has always been hit or miss with OneCare due to the various device configurations and protocols used to manage the NAS devices.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Thanks, you give me a nice perspective of it all.  I don't mind switching back to using the computer's USB port.  Belkin has contacted me but I have not read or answered their message yet. 
    If I may ask because this is not part of this subject, connecting the hard drive to the desktop USB port can I send a backup from my laptop with this hookup? 
    I'm sorry and disappointed if OneCare will stop being a feature of the system.  I like everything about OneCare and it has kept my computer bug and virus free.  I tried many programs before starting OneCare-I even had the OneCare software for a few months before I started using it.  But once I installed and signed on I have appreciated it very much. 
    Frank C.  
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:42 AM
  • I finally got a chance to reply to the Belkin Support email.  Below is my first message to them, their reply and then my second message to them.  Would it be ok if I shared your messages with them or would you prefer I not do that? 

My first message to Belkin:

I connected a hard drive to my router's USB port to use as my backup hard drive. I have a desktop as the main computer and a laptop connected by the way of the Belkin router. The hard drive shows up in my laptop's My Computer but the backup says I have to activate Network Share.  When I right click the hard drive attached to the Belkin router the Network Share does not show

up but Share Options does show up in other drives in My Computer. I have Windows XP Professional. Because the Sharing Options only does not show up in the hard drive attached to my Belkin router it looks as if the problem is related to the Belkin router. I already contacted Belkin Support by phone today and they helped me re-connect my Internet connection when I tried to solve this problem myself and messed up my entire internet connection but they just told me to turn on Network Sharing and that would fix the problem. Frank C.

Belkin's Response: 

Hi Frank,
    Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.
    We understand that the hard drive is shown in the laptop, but the backup states that Network Share needs to be enabled. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
    We would appreciate if you can get back to us with the following information:

1) The make, model and capacity of the storage device?
    2) If the storage device has an external power source?
    3) If the "share" option is shown when a different storage device is connected to the router?
    4) The operating system of the computers work fine?
    5) If "share “option is shown when the same storage device is connected directly to a computer?
    6) Briefly explain the issue? Please confirm if the drive connected to the router is not being accessible/ shared?

Frank, if you need further assistance please feel free to write back to us and we will be happy to assist you.
    Regards,
    Cliff Wayne.
    Belkin Technical Support.

My answer to Belkin: 

1. Seagate Barracuda, SATA/USB portable connector, 1.5 TB

2. Yes The external connector to the hard drive (SATA to USB) has an external power source (connected directly to
        the hard drive. 
    3. Yes the share option is shown on all other hard drives when the one hard drive is connected to the router.

4. Yes, both have Windows XP (one has XP Professional and the laptop has XP Media Center Edition) and both are in   
        excellent condition.

5. I can copy to the hard drive when it is connected to the router and yes, when I connect the hard drive to the desktop 
       computer USB  
    it does show Sharing and Security from the drop down list when I right click the hard drive. 

6. I can copy and paste to the hard drive when it is connected to the router but the Sharing and Security option does    
        not show when I  right 
    click the hard drive in My Computer.  I cannot use Microsoft OneCare Backup to the hard drive  
        when the hard drive is connected to the 
    router.  OneCare backup says I have to open Network Share before I can use  
        the backup but the Sharing and Security drop down option 
    is not there.         Frank C.

Belkin has not responded yet.  I will write more when they respond.    Frank C.  

Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Thanks, you give me a nice perspective of it all.  I don't mind switching back to using the computer's USB port.  Belkin has contacted me but I have not read or answered their message yet. 
    If I may ask because this is not part of this subject, connecting the hard drive to the desktop USB port can I send a backup from my laptop with this hookup? 
    I'm sorry and disappointed if OneCare will stop being a feature of the system.  I like everything about OneCare and it has kept my computer bug and virus free.  I tried many programs before starting OneCare-I even had the OneCare software for a few months before I started using it.  But once I installed and signed on I have appreciated it very much. 
    Frank C.  

If you connect the drive to the desktop PC and make that PC a Hub PC in a OneCare Circle, then configure Centralized backup so that the desktop and laptop both use this drive, you can backup the laptop to it and restore from it if needed.
    -steve
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:01 PM
  • I'll be interested in hearing/reading Belkin's response to you.
    -steve
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:01 PM