Commit after Portfolio Analysis RRS feed

• Question

• When pressing the "Commit" button after running through a portfolio scenario, I would - perhaps mistakenly - expect the workflow stage and schedule of selected projects to be updated. However nothing seems to happen. Does anything special needs to be configured? Are any fields being updated which are not visible in common views? What exactly can you do with the output of the portfolio analysis? Go to each individual project and manually approve those being shortlisted? Many thanks if anyone could shed some light on this, because I couldn't find anything more specific in the documentation, and it's the crucial final step of the portfolio exercise.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Patho.

What version of Portfolio Analsis are you referring to?   What screen are you referring to when clicking "Commit"?

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Check out this link...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/5fe9eb13-728f-4b53-829b-1902192c8461 

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Hi,

Clicking on the commit button can trigger the workflow, but only if the workflow is developed in such a way that it reacts to that event. Are you talking about the out of the box sample workflow?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Thanks Michael, Ben and Livia for your prompt answers, I didn't reply earlier because somehow I got no Alerts. I pushed the "Commit" after the Portfolio Analysis in the Demo image (both beta as well as RTM). From the other thread (to which Ben referred), I understood that you got to set up a workflow to handle the OnProjectCommit event, and that you can report against the MSP_EPMProjectCommit table in the ReportingDB. Would it be correct to state that you need to build an extensions (basically a new workflow) to make real good use of this Commit feature on Project Server 2010? Or would there be a standard workflow or a workflow in an SDK?
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

You can still use the Portfolio Analyser to determine what projects to move into execution without needing to have a workflow behind it. However to leverage the workflow functionality and to automatically move the projects to the next state you will need to create a workflow. If you check out the Project SDK, there is an example of a workflow that covers the whole project lifecycle, including the portfolio commit that you can leverage further for your own environment. The SDK can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46007f25-b44e-4aa6-80ff-9c0e75835ad9&displaylang=en

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, July 2, 2010 11:26 AM
  • Thanks Alexander,

Following your recommendation, I'll check out the Project SDK to leverage the Portfolio Analysis "Commit" functionality.

PatHo

Monday, July 5, 2010 2:54 PM