Hosting Your HD View Content RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have tried to follow the directions given on http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/HDView/HDcreate.htm to host my content on the free Silverlight development server. However, I can not seem to get it to work. I am using ICE to output what I believe should be either "HD View" or "HD View SL" content. Both types work for me locally. If you follow the instructions on the above page they state that you should zip up the following files and folders...

flowers_files (folder)
    manifest.xml
    HDViewOnload.js
    HDViewSL.xap
    flowers.xml
    flowers_hdv.xml

... and upload them to the development server. I don't have this flowers_hdv.xml file. ICE does not output it when I chose Deep Zoom Tilesets. Where do I get it from?
    It's the same when I try to output HD View Tilesets. I end up not having the flowers_hdv.xml PLUS I don't get the HDViewSL.xap file either.

Like I said, both of the formats work for me locally but when I use the Silverlight instructions I just end up with the HDView Beta 3 splash screen. It does not fade out and give any content.

Any help appreciated, especialy if it comes in a "click here, then type this, then press enter" kind of format.
    • Edited by DatumX Friday, April 24, 2009 12:32 AM typo
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:30 AM

All replies

• I have the similar problem. No flowers_hdv.xml. I am not using Silverlight services, instead, I am hosting my photo blog using wordpress at GoDaddy.com.

Any help. Thanks in advance.

Peter

Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:25 AM
  • hey datumX

i have exactly the same problem ... but got as far as uploading the image and i think filling out the manifest info correctly (though instructions fall apart around there).

still can't get it to work ... very dissapointing ... why does it need to be so complicated!

if anyone can advise ...

doc
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:22 PM

• Hi All,

ICE hasn't been re-released yet, so the instructions on http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/hdview/HDcreate.htm which apply to the HD View Utilities (HD Make and the Photoshop Plugin) aren't quite right.  I'll update the page, but meanwhile the differences are:

In ICE, instead of getting both "flowers.xml" and "flowers_hdv.xml", you get just one or the other depending on if you chose either "HD View" or "Deep Zoom" tilesets.  (That's because we didn't have the concept of "Dual" yet which needs both.)  Likewise you don't get HDViewSL.xap if you choose "HD View" because it's only used for "Deep Zoom".

But, you should be able to upload what you've got (e.g. for HD View, no HDViewSL.xap, and flowers.xml instead of flowers_hdv.xml), and point your <iframe> src at flowers.xml instead of flowers_hdv.xml and it should work.  If you post your <iframe> I'll have a look.

Thanks!

--Howard

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:37 PM
  • I'm no further forward.

OK in the case of HDView ICE outputs:

A folder called tiles which has sub folders in it.

It also outputs an HTML document (which when I double click it brings up the working local view) and an XML document.

I add "manifest" and "HDViewOnLoad" to these three items making five in total.

I zip up these five (and name the folder kitchen2) and then go to the Silverlight upload page.

In the instance below I call the application kitchen2 and navigate to the zip file and upload it.

The confirmation screen comes up and says The application has a well-formed manifest and the Method 1: Embed the application as a frame default script reads:

<iframe src="http://silverlight.services.live.com/invoke/23908/kitchen2/iframe.html" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="width:500px; height:400px"></iframe>

It does not work when I paste it into my blog.

Neither does the "Launch application test page" function work. I just get a blank page.

This is more than likely due to my not really understanding how to amend the suggested iframe output. Or should I not be adding manifest and HDViewOnLoad?

DatumX
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:28 PM
  • You need to include the xml file name in the iframe as in the example here:

<iframe src="http://silverlight.services.live.com/invoke/23908/kitchen2/iframe.html?FileName=kitchen2.xml" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="width:500px; height:400px"></iframe>

This didn't work when I just tried it, so either I didn't get your xml filename correct or it hasn't been uploaded.  Please adjust the above and replace kitchen2.xml with the correct xml file name, then try again to use the iframe.
    -Matt
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Is the xap file generated unique to each fileset or can I have the xap in a folder of multiple filesets ? ie; I have kitchen1, kitchen2, and kitchen3, which contain the image folders, in a folder called kitchen. The kitchen folder contains the .xml, .htm, and hdv.xml files for each of the kitchen1, 2, 3, and only one .xap file. Will this structure work or do I have to create sub-folders for each, so as to contain a unique xap file ?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:47 PM
  • That directory structure should work (I'm sure you'll let us know if not :-)  You only need one HDViewSL.xap--it's not unique to each fileset.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Not sure if there was any conclusion on this issue. I'm facing the same problem. Hope someone can help me

I prepared the content with hdmake with the following parameters

hdmake -src "DSC_2945 - DSC_2984.jpg" -xmlcntrsphere NiagaraFalls.xml 180 -viewer dual -html

Which generated NiagaraFalls.zip, NiagaraFalls.xml, NiagaraFalls_hdv.xml and NiagaraFalls.htm
    I added NiagaraFalls.xml, NiagaraFalls_hdv.xml, HDViewSL.xap and HDViewOnLoad.js to the zip file and uploaded to streaming.live.com
    I didn't add manifest.xml (the link on the instruction was broken, by the way), but I managed to generate it via the Admin page with the following input (they were all populated automatically the manifest.xml was generated, I simply accepted the ;default')

Silverlight Version: 2
    Source *: HDViewSL.xap
    Display Name: Niagara Falls
    Script Files: HDViewOnLoad.js

I pasted the following to my blog
    <iframe src="http://silverlight.services.live.com/invoke/104441/NiagaraFalls/iframe.html" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="width:400px; height:300px"></iframe>
    but when I tried to view my blog, no image came up. And the HD View iFramd showed "This HTML page does not specify a source image"

I tried adding the Filename to the url
    src="http://silverlight.services.live.com/invoke/104441/NiagaraFalls/iframe.html?FileName=NiagaraFalls_hdv.xml&Viewer=2"

I tried both Niagarafalls.xml and NiagaraFalls_hdv.xml as FileName and Viewer was set to 0, 1, 2 but nothing works.

What I'm missing? According to MSDN, the manifest.xml can be created/edit via Silverlight Streaming Admin page. So I guess it's OK if the menifest is not included in the zip package at the time of uploading.

By the way, I can launch NiagaraFalls.htm and view the local copy of the content.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

• Edited by andyz50 Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:42 AM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:33 AM
  • OK I've fixed the manifest.xml and HDViewOnLoad.js links; try it now.  Sorry for the inconvenience, and let us know if this doesn't fix it!

--Howard
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Howard,

Thanks for your reply. But unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to work. Not sure whatelse I'm missing...

You can download my zip file here and take a look to see if the file structure is correct.
    http://www.adrive.com/public/f1fd074f1ea3de33cae362000941d411af7c6b87442a6662647b3019a4e5021f.html 

I'm embeding the HD View on my blog with the following code
    <iframe src="http://silverlight.services.live.com/invoke/104441/NiagaraFalls/iframe.html?FileName=NiagaraFalls_hdv.xml&viewer=2" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="width:500px; height:400px"></iframe>

There is no error, just a blank iFrame on the page.

Monday, July 20, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Hi Andy,

NiagaraFalls.zip has the old HDViewOnLoad.js in it; make sure you download the new one from the link (I had to fix both the manifest.xml and HDViewOnLoad.js links).
    Also you might want to call it "NiagaraFalls1" or some such at first to make sure you're not getting a cached version.

--Howard
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I just tried it with the new HDViewOnload.js and it works fine.  Nice panorama!

--Howard
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:10 PM
  • THANKS A  LOT, Howard! It actually works!

However, I noticed that for some reason it doesn't work consistently. For the same page, same code, sometimes, it brings up the image rather quickly after the page is loaded, but sometime, it just gives you a HD View Logo, and you just see it gets dimmer, and dimmer, and you kind expect something would come out soon, but nothing. Restarting browser (BTW, I'm using IE7) seems to help a little, but no guarantee. Not sure it's because of the server is too busy or something on client side?

Anyway, at least I learned the proper way to host my HD view content now, thanks to you.

Andy
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Hi All,

I have had success loading an HDview panorama to the  Silverlight Streaming Server and can embed the app into a page on my website.
    The strange thing is when the page is displayed, the following happens:

1) frame comes up with HDView Logo
    2) Logo fades and image begins to display.  A wireframe (grid) indicates the size full image.  The frame is overlayed with the image, tile by tile.
    3) Tiles display starting from left side of image display. This proceeds until the vary last part of the image on the far right side of the screen.  Here there is still some wireframe exposed (looks like maybe one tile is missing at full screen display).  From this point, the application continues to download data (watching network traffic), but the right side of the image never displays ??.
    4) Notes: The zoom and pan functions do work as expected and other tiles are updated even though part of the image is missing. The perspective control at the top of the screen does not function when the image wire frame is showing.

Background: The tile set was created using the Photoshop plug-in.  This was set to create an HDview app to minimize the download file size for testing. When the plug-in finishes, it opens the app in the browser and locally this works.

Here's a link:

http://www.petermason.com/gigapanoramics.htm

I have bashed around on this for a couple of days, so I'd be grateful for some suggestions.

Thanks,
    Peter

Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Hi Peter,

I tried your link and it works for me, with both Parker_Overlook.xml and Parker_Overlook_hdv.xml.  Are you still seeing the problem, and if so for which .xml?

--Howard
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Hello Howard,

It's very interesting.  For several days, including yesterday morning, the right side did not display.  However, last evening I tried it again and it was worked.  I had a friend check it as well and it worked for her, too.  This morning I checked it at my office and it now works here as well.  (cue spooky music) It's a mystery to me since I did nothing to "fix" it.  My thought is someone changed something on the server side, but I have no detailed visibility into what is happening on the Silverlight server.

Thanks,
    Peter

Friday, July 24, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Hi!

I'm beginner in programming, but I want to advice you to visit this html tutorilas resource. I think its helps you!
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:19 PM