TV Tuner in Home (Vail) Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Home Server (Vail) which so far is pretty sweet.

Well as far as being a data store, and the abilty to stream to windows media center on my client PCs.

I'd like to add a TV Tuner card to the server, as most of my client pc's are laptops, and I don't want to have to add a TV device to every client machine.

If I add a Happuage Tuner to the Vail Server how do I control this and record TV?

Would I need to login to the server constantly to schedule and record shows, or can the TV card be controlled by the client PCs

Windows media center obviously has TV card setup and integration, but does that only apply to the local machine, or would it know the server had a TV tuner, and be able to control it?

Monday, December 27, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• You should install your tuner in a HTPC, rather than your server. Windows Home Server isn't designed to serve as a tuner farm, and you may find it challenging to get a tuner card working at all, as the base operating system is Windows Server 2008 R2 and tuner manufacturers target desktop operating systems for their products.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Sweet, that's pretty much the answer I thought I was going to get.

I appreciate the fast reply and help :)

Right now vail is just serving to our 2 laptops and 1 desktop, via media center.

I'm planning on building a media PC (HTPC) in our front room, so I can patch it into the TV.

So if I put the TV tuner in that PC, whats the best solution for controlling it and recording programs.

As I was just planning on this being a dumb PC with no keyboard, and just serving media to the TV via media center.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:17 AM
  • I'm planning on building a media PC (HTPC) in our front room, so I can patch it into the TV.

So if I put the TV tuner in that PC, whats the best solution for controlling it and recording programs.

As I was just planning on this being a dumb PC with no keyboard, and just serving media to the TV via media center.
    Well you have to control is locally somehow, no? Are you planing to use a remote control? WMC is designed so it can be used with a remote control.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Yes I'll control the local (HTPC) computer connected to TV and TC Tuner card with a remote or phone/ipad app probably.

So does that mean I cannot see or record any "live" channels from the client PC's?

I have to do all recording via the local machine, and then view "Recorded TV" later on the clients(laptops).

As Ken mentioned the term ""Tuner Farm", is there any way to achieve that, so any client can record or watch live TV?, or am I stuck with just being able to watch Recorded TV.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hauppauge tuner cards come with the ability to stream live TV, I use
    it all the time.  It streams it to a web browser session.

It's not as good a picture quality as if the tuner was local, but it's
    not too bad.

You can't set the recording options through that though, only live TV.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Hauppauge tuner cards come with the ability to stream live TV, …

Do they come with drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows 7 x64 drivers that work reliably under that OS?

And I'd be worried about the add-on software; I can see where that streaming you describe would have the potential to react unfortunately with the Remote Access web site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Yes I'll control the local (HTPC) computer connected to TV and TC Tuner card with a remote or phone/ipad app probably.

So does that mean I cannot see or record any "live" channels from the client PC's?

I have to do all recording via the local machine, and then view "Recorded TV" later on the clients(laptops).

As Ken mentioned the term ""Tuner Farm", is there any way to achieve that, so any client can record or watch live TV?, or am I stuck with just being able to watch Recorded TV.
    Have you looked at the network tuners from SiliconDust? A new Cablecrd version is coming if you need/want that. Or the original ATSC/ClearQAM ones are really inexpensive now at NewEgg.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:09 PM
  • >Hauppauge tuner cards come with the ability to stream live TV, ?

Well, it's part of the software that comes with the card, but yes.

>Do they come with drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows 7 x64 drivers that work reliably under that OS?

I haven't tried it under Win2008R2, but I run it on Win7 x64 all the
    time, it has been very stable unlike earlier tries at x64 drivers.

>And I'd be worried about the add-on software; I can see where that streaming you describe would have the potential to react unfortunately with the Remote Access web site.
    >I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

You can set the port the hauppauge uses and its default isn't any
    known ports that I've seen for WHS.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Dave, I like the idea of the SiliconDust box, but it seems limit to free channels.

Now thinking about it I assume TV Tuner cards have the same limitation right?

Is there away to record cable channels that I have subscriptions for, that I can usually view via the regular cable box?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:52 PM
  • If the tuner you want to use is a DTV tuner have a look at dvblink at www.dvblogic.com, that solution will work with many tv sources, including DVB-S, DVB-C and DVB-T, and will be able to serve it in many ways, as 'virtual  tuners' to a Windows Media Center for example but also as a DLNA server. I can even watch television away from home as it includes a webserver. Another great feature is that I can use my iPad to watch television, at home but also away form home!   

Cheers,

Danee

Media Center Plug-ins: http://www.mcesoft.nl
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Dave, I like the idea of the SiliconDust box, but it seems limit to free channels.

Now thinking about it I assume TV Tuner cards have the same limitation right?

Is there away to record cable channels that I have subscriptions for, that I can usually view via the regular cable box?
    If these channels are encrypted (which they almost certainly are) you need a CableCard tuner in order to view or record them on a PC (at least if you want to do this in HD).

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:03 PM
  • If your going to use it as an HTPC try out XBMC, there is a windows version and a stand alone version built on linux.

Both run great, but the Linux version isn't bogged down with extra os stuff like the windows one. I use Windows and xbmc myself.

====>> USB TV tuner

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:40 AM
  • The drivers aren't really the problem. MS removed BDA from Server 2008/R2 so that's why you won't get the tuner cards working (though there is a hack floating around using Vista/Win7 files floating around that puts it back again [or install Server 2003 and then 2008 over the top of it; the BDA files will remain]).

For those of us without HTPCs that want to run Vail this is a real problem. My ideal world would be a tv tuner in my server where I can schedule recordings via web page and then watch them via whatever streaming devices I have, e.g. XBox, Popcorn hour, etc.

HTPCs are just too much hassle when I can just centralise everything on a server and then have a low, cost quiet streaming device under the TV.

MS should just put BDA back into their server products.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:19 PM