none
MCPD Web Developer 4 on Visual Studio 2010 - any particular exam order? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I'll post a bit of background so you know where I'm asking the question from :)

Around 10 years ago I wanted to be a programmer, I ended up in a System Administration role which is where I've been for the last 10 years!  I work closely with web developers, but mostly from the server-side.  I've been on plenty of Microsoft training in areas such as IIS5.5,6,7 so I have a good grasp on what .NET technologies are about and have worked on web-software and projects - although I've never used VS.

Before I ended up as a System Administrator, I programmed in quite few languages (C,C++, Pascal) over the years and have picked up PHP and Perl at times when I've been working on a problem on a server with scripts or software, but haven't programmed in anger over the last 5/6 years as I've been working in System Administration.

I've decided to self-study/retrain and get the MCPD Web Developer 4 (as thats the area I work most closely in at the moment) and then move onto Windows Developer 4.

Can anyone give some advice on a recommended order to pursue the MCPD Web Developer 4 on Visual Studio 2010 certification (I'll look at the?  I was thinking of just going in the order they are listed on the web site, but after reading each one I wasn't sure if this is the wisest choice!

• MCTS prerequisite: TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 - Exam 70-515
    • MCTS prerequisite: TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 - Exam 70-513
    • MCTS prerequisite: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 - Exam 70-516
    • MCPD requirement: PRO: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4 - Exam 70-519

I usually pick technology related stuff up pretty fast (RHCE in around a week, ICND1/2 to get the CCNA in around 2 months) - can anyone who has self studied give some ideas on how much time it took them to learn the topics, prep for the exam and pass each one? I was hoping to go for one every 6 weeks, with a 2 week break in between each one.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

AndyM

Friday, November 18, 2011 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

the order of the exams which you provided is a good one.

For the first exam (70-515) you will need some time if you are not familiar with ASP.NET. The second exam (70-513) can be done in a week if you understand the basic concepts of WCF.
    In my opinion the most difficult one is the third exam (70-516), but if you have some understanding of data related work you should have a quick start. The biggest difference between the third exam and the other two is that this exam contains a practice scenario where some questions are ask to a sample application that is given.

If you have done this three exams I think you are ready for the MCPD exam.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:06 PM
    Answerer