Music on Hold RRS feed

• Question

• We are testing OCS 2007 and want to know if we can have MOH (Music On Hold)?

Make Call, put on hold and Caller should hear Music.

Related to this, can you have an automatic pickup of a call and play a message or music, before a person takes the call? Call comes in - automatic pickup after X rings - Message or Music Played - Person tajes call.

Thanks

Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:01 PM

All replies

• Apparently this is only scheduled for the next release somewhere in the summer next year

Operator consoles will also be introduced then

I think that will be OCS 2007 R2

Deli

Friday, November 9, 2007 12:11 AM
  • COMMUNICATOR_onhold.wav is the file which is played on hold, you could modify this wav file if you want to play the music you wish to.

• Proposed as answer by TRIUMF Friday, November 27, 2009 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:41 AM
  • Where should this file be placed?  Is this a server or client based solution?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:24 PM
  • You will find these wave file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office Communicator

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:20 PM
  •  

Any limitations or special specifications?  I tried replacing this file with a simpsons wav, it didn't work, any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:58 PM
  • COMMUNICATOR_onhold.wav is the file which is played on hold, you could modify this wav file if you want to play the music you wish to.

You mean this wave file is played back to the PBX user if the OCS user puts call on hold; OR this wave file is played on OCS side, if the PBX user puts the OCS user on hold? It seems to me, that this wave file is only played to the other party during an attempt to  finish the "make the call on hold" process, which means about a half second. After that, this wave file is not used anymore.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:08 PM
  •  

The Communicator_onhold.wav should play the entire time when you place an inbound caller on hold.  So I have replaced that file with a .wav file, and when I place any caller on hold, they still only hear a beep every 5 seconds.  Not sure what the issue is here, I've changed my inbound ringtone with no issues, the same wav won't work for on hold though....

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Well, if it is really working as you said, it sounds very exciting!

Personally, I never heard any music if I was calling an OCS user, and that OCS user put me on hold. I have to investigate it, anyway thanks for the info.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:50 AM
  • Richard,

It's not working for us yet, we're hoping to get it working shortly though.....That's why I was posting to this thread, we can't make that functionality work, but we've been able to change ring tones, etc.....

Thanks,

KP

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:16 PM
  •  

Hi ,

Could you try to configure sounds in the control panel for Office Communicator, try changing the hold sound, it should definately work.

what is the version wave 12 or 13? could you give me the version number?

Thanks!

Ram

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  

I tried configuring "On Hold" from within Control Panel, I chose the "tada.wav" file that is built into windows, it didn't work.  If I set this as my ring tone it does work.  When I press the hold button, the calling part just hears a beep every 5 seconds.  Can't tell the version of the .wav, right clicking on it doesn't give that option.

Thanks,

KP

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:36 PM
  • I need the version to confirm, typically in wave 12, It is possible to change hold sound with wav file. I will double check with different wave files now and will confirm you again.

Thanks!

.ram

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I think Ramanathan was asking about the version of your OCS / Communicator version, not the .wav file (Wave 12 was the codename for OCS2007, and wave 13 should be the next one in the future)
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:33 AM
  • The communicator client is v 2.0.6362.0.  I also have the Communicator/Outlook hotfix installed.

Thanks,

KP

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Try different files and see, if it doesn't work, i will have to create a bug on this.

thanks!

.ram

Saturday, February 23, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Ok, so what I figured out is, whatever file I select as the "on hold" sound, is what is played when I'm put on hold by someone else.  This doesn't help us with people calling us who we put on hold at all though.  Anyway to play music on hold for our inbound callers who are put on hold?  This is a huge problem for us as our inbound callers just hear a beep.

Thanks,

Kevin

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Kevin:

I can confirm your experience.

Basically, the Music on hold feature of MOC works only in MOC client; if I have a call with an other OCS client (only SIP-SIP call, as MOC client wont able to detect the on-hold status coming from PBX/PSTN) and the other MOC client puts me on hold, I will hear that wave file, that I configured for myself. So I dont hear the wavefile, that the other user configured for himself, so that feature is quite limited.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Having the same issue. I changed the Communicator_onhold.wav and it still doesn't play. Also went into control panel and changed the wave there. Same results. Running MOC version 2.06362.36

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:54 PM
  •  

The communicator_onhold.wav file plays back to YOU (the communicator user) when you are placed on hold.  It will not play for inbound callers, they just hear an annoying beep.  This is a big feature that was overlooked......
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:39 PM
  • >>>The communicator_onhold.wav file plays back to YOU (the communicator user) when you are placed on hold.  It will not play for inbound callers, they just hear an annoying beep.  This is a big feature

is this the feature request we are looking for? I am going to create a feature request, please reply your comments to this thread, I will get back to you after the discussion about this feature request.

Thanks!

.ram

usb devices / sounds - office communicator

Sunday, April 6, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Ram,

This would be a great thing to throw into a feature request.  If this feature isn't present, every single inbound call that is placed on hold will hear an annoying beep every 5 seconds.  This single feature is keeping us from recommending the product to a number of clients.  If they could set the device to use their on hold audio from their current PBX we would win the business.

Thanks!

KP

Monday, April 7, 2008 12:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I'm the program manager for sounds in Wave 13 and Wave 14.

There are several changes coming with respect to the behaviour and treatment of sounds.

For Wave 13, users will still be able to change the sounds that are accessible from the Windows Explorer Sounds panel. Please note that there are limitations to what kind of sound may be player. Currently only .WAV files are supported but not .WAV for 5-point surround sound as this cannot be rendered by many of our USB devices.

For the instances where a user attempts to configure their own version of sounds but the sound is unable to be rendered by OC, customized sound configurations will default back to the original OC sounds (so that at the very least, a user will still get some kind of audio feedback as to what's happening in the system).

As for the "annoying beep" which is COMMUNICATOR_ONHOLD.WAV (a.k.a. feedback-on-hold), this is meant to behave like a heartbeat. If we don't play any sound, then the user who has been placed on hold doesn't know whether he/she is still on hold, or if the call has been disconnected (especially when their screen is locked and so he/she has no visual cue to see the state of the call). I agree that this particular sound is not ideal, however sound is always very subjective and it is difficult to find a single sound which is ideal to all. In Wave 12, the loop of "5 seconds" should actually be a loop of 30 seconds, which would make it less annoying so if yours is looping at 5 seconds, please let me know and I will have someone investigate.

What's up and coming for Wave 14:

Granted, we know that users like to configure sound, however, since this is supposed to be a piece of software being used in a corporate environment, it is important that a sense of professionalism be maintained with any type of ringtone that is audible by people in the immediate vicinity of the actual call recipient. As such, we are investigating into having multiple sound schemas that will allow a user to swap out an entire set of sounds so that they are different from those of their immediate neighbour. This should help alleviate call confusion (i.e. whose phone is currently ringing). Also, we are re-evaluating music on hold since the feedback-on-hold isn't quite doing it for users.

Please let us know if there are any other issues you'd like us to address in future versions.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Vivian,

I am having issues with the beep going every 5 seconds instead of 30.  I'm not sure about the different Wave version, maybe you could help me understand.  Our goal, as a company, is to allow custom audio to playback to our customers when we put them on hold.  THis could be canned music, or a "message from out CEO" or anything of that nature.  If you can give me specific instructions and specifications to make that work, I'd be happy to give it a shot.  But as it is we're having trouble making it happen.

Thanks!

Kevin

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

The developer on this feature researched your request. On 2/27/07 we changed the OnHoldDuration from 4 seconds to 30 seconds, so we assume that the build you are using must have a really old (i.e. beta?).

Note that 4 seconds was the duration of the silence between each repetition, so it was probably cycling at 5 seconds.

-- Vivian

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:45 PM
  •  

Hi Vivian,

If you gonna look into MoH Feature for OCS I would like to give my suggestions to this feature.

Especially for the incomming calls via PBX. I made some experience with cosutmers who can select theyr MoH itself. They sometimes use actuall music or special self made music. But they usually forgot that the PSTN is limited to 4000 Hz. So the music sounds very bad for the customer putting on hold. It would be glad if you could demonstrate how this music will sound to the costumer (coded in G711). I think here of some kind of conversation agent which will convert a sound file to a special wav file coded in G711.

For external callers the company will provide the MoH and not the user itself. It would be perfect if the MoH would be on Mediation Server. Normal Scenario: A costumer is calling. The user places a call on hold. He starts asking a colleage if he would answer the call. In this moment I will otherwise have two voice streams from the Office Communicator. Probably across the WAN...

Thanks

Philipp

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:48 AM
  • You can get MoH to the PBX and PSTN when you use an AudioCodes Gateway. We have already implemented this for customers.

Regards,

Peter

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:24 PM