Money premium plus backup file with windows 7 and sunset delux RRS feed

• Question

• I had money 2005, upgraded in 2008 to premium plus until a month ago. My Dell xps Video card crashed for the 3rd time so I opened it in safe mode, copied all the prgram files for premium plus and migrated them to my new laptop running windows 7. I've read recent post for removing the program, reinstalling sunset delux and so on. I'm like the other guy who is ready to pull their hair out. I cannot view any of my backup files installed from a flashcard. The files are .mny, m14, .mbf. The version I have for money plus delux is 17.0.120.3817 and I have the money insights start icon on my start location, whick I cant open either by a double click or right click as admin. I can open premium plus delux either way though. Help on getting my backup file to run! Thanks.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 6:15 AM

Answers

• If you can see the data on the old machine, I think you copied the wrong .MNY file--3.25MB is more or less what a File|New... File|Exit sequence generates in M+ with no data added,

I think you need to go searching out all the .MNY files on the old machine.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:40 AM

All replies

• So you can open and edit data in the Sample data file installed by the installer? If not, you probably have installation issues. If this work, the issues are probably with your files somehow.

.mny is a data file. .m14 is a left over M05 file from when you upgraded to M+. .mbf's are backup data files. I'd first work on the .mny file(s). Where is it stored? (NOT anywhere by your Desktop of Documents folder, I'm suggesting.) If you copy it to your desktop and double click on it, what, precisely, happens? What error messages?

Monday, November 29, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Dick, When I double click my .mny folder that I've moved to my desktop, it opens (top left corner) my money-Microsoft money. It says to open your money file, enter your password. it gives a file location File: c:\users\alan\desktop\my money.mny, then a sign in box. When I sign in,  it's opening the program with no information of my files present. When I close the program, it brings up a dialouge box with "back up when money closes", I hit postpond twice and then it closes. Ideas?
    Monday, November 29, 2010 7:45 PM
  • So it sounds like your install is working.

How big is the file you are opening? How big are the backup files you have? I'm wondering if you really do have an essentially empty file that got created somewhere along the way.

I'd also be thinkinag about ways to go look at the files that were on your old machine--a replacement video card can be had for $30 or so--if at all possible and see if you really got the "right" data file.

You could also try restoring from all the available .mbf files.

I'd go to great lengths to protect every file you have and work only on copies, etc.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:03 AM
  • My .mny file is 3.25 mb, I can view the files on my old PC albeit they're difficult to read sometimes. The replacement for the XPS is actually 300 to 600 smackers, all part of that Nvidia overheating fiasco. I actually have the file fresh off the flashdrive.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:02 AM
  • If you can see the data on the old machine, I think you copied the wrong .MNY file--3.25MB is more or less what a File|New... File|Exit sequence generates in M+ with no data added,

I think you need to go searching out all the .MNY files on the old machine.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Dick, Thank you! Issue resolved....only 5 post to get that done.....where's that easy button? Thank you for your expertise!
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:41 AM