Installing WHS, Doesn't find the sata drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, I brought a raid card and a 640gb sata wd hdd.

However as the computer only has a 40gb ide drive, which the mobo doesn't support sata.

When I load the drivers it would cheak the hardware requirements and then give me the same error, can't install because of the hdd space.

Is there anyway of fixing this.

Thanks, VisTa.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:11 PM

Answers

• If the SATA card you chose isn't bootable, you could see this issue. Or if it's a dedicated RAID card you would see this, in which case you would have to create an array (even with only a single disk, you can usually create a "JBOD" array) and a volume on that array.

Have you considered more modern hardware? Even just replacing the IDE drive with something a little larger would let you test Windows Home Server and determine if you want to spend the money for new (permanent) hardware.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:18 PM

All replies

• If the SATA card you chose isn't bootable, you could see this issue. Or if it's a dedicated RAID card you would see this, in which case you would have to create an array (even with only a single disk, you can usually create a "JBOD" array) and a volume on that array.

Have you considered more modern hardware? Even just replacing the IDE drive with something a little larger would let you test Windows Home Server and determine if you want to spend the money for new (permanent) hardware.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:18 PM
  • The computer sees it when it boots up as I see it on the loading screen.

Also when it was running xp, before I went to put WHS onto it.

I've try to load the drivers, tho it resends and gives te same error.

Friday, January 15, 2010 7:12 PM