WHS/SBS 2011 RTM on 30th march RRS feed

• General discussion

• According to a source  (not really trusted but who has allready giving good info) on a french board, WHS and SBSE 2011 will be RTM on the 30th March.

Who take a Bet ?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:18 PM

All replies

• Believe it when I see it.
    D.W.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Seems like we go through this on every beta! :-)
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Hey, now, we gotta have something to keep us innerested, don'tchaknow!? :)
    Nancy Ward
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Most of what I've read says "may" be released. And if this is so, I will go back to WHS V1 because WHS 2011 simply doesn't meet my needs at this time. And I require very little from a server; I do though, require it to be error free, and WHS 2011 is not.
    Nancy Ward
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:08 PM
  • While I haven't had the reliability issue's that have haunted you Nancy, I have to agree that if the RTM that has been released to OEM's in it's current form, I will also be carrying on using WHS V1.

It is a great pity, the new Dashboard interface is nice, and the system certainly performs fine as a file store. But given the badly broken implementation of backup, via the dashboard tab, it would not be worth buying. If the backup is not fixed in the RTM, it will be the final straw from my perspective. Microsoft appears to have created what they wanted for themselves, rather than what their many of their customers that frequent this forum are asking for.

As things currently stand, I will continue to use WHS V1 for client backups, and will re-use my WHS2011rc hardware as a Win 7 machine. This will utilise a spare licence that I already own. Given a couple of hours, I will setup the required shares, duplicating the files and DVD's via synctoy. Each share disk will have a similar sized backup disk. Once DE had disappeared from "VAIL" this was my intended work around on the 2011RC. Simply using backup to backup each disk to another similar sized disk. A really good theory until it was found that you cannot have more than one backup disk at a time. You also cannot have multiple backup schedules unless you schedule them via the desktop. This on a HOME SERVER!!

This arrangement using a WIN 7 box and WHS V1 will also allow me to continue using "Mymovies" on the media centre and pointing it at the new Win 7 box. Turning the clients on or off as desired to save power can be achieved utilising the Lightsout Addin on the V1 server. While not as neat as 2011rc, the WHBBS backup addin will also be used to backup the client backups.

If there is one, maybe WHS XXXX V3 will be worth it, I sincerly hope so. That way we can all forget what is starting to more and more resemble the Vista implementation of WHS. Roll on the Windows 7 version :).

The final decision will wait until the RTM is announced but I will not be holding my breath on upgrading. I think the "WHS" team have made my decision for me!

Dave 

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:22 AM
  • my vail license seems to have expired now. Is it worth puting the RC on my machine, or should i wait 10 days....
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Dunno, Charlie.

I think if WHS 2011 RTMs on the 30th, I may download the trial and see what pops. But if it reacts the same way the RC does, I will go back to v1 and stop worrying about it.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:53 PM
  • But if it reacts the same way the RC does, I will go back to v1 and stop worrying about it.

Nancy Ward

So happy I'm sitting this one out and not evaluating WHSV2.  I've got enough headaches maintaining 7 home PC's @RTM.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:01 AM