Windows Home Server No Longer Backing Up RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS backing up my home computer since it was in Beta.  Unfortunately whs has not backed up in 20 days and I am feeling naked.  The situation is as follows:

Error is "The backup server failed."
    When I try a manual back up it gives me a connection to the server was lost error
    WHS recently auto updated (I believe around the time it stopped functioning)
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software
    The server storage tab on the connector shows both hard drives as "healthy"
    I have run chkdsk /r on the client computer (13 minor inconsistencies on drive)
    I have connected to the home server through remote desktop
    The server system log contains many "EventID 7" errors (The device, \Device\Harddisk0, has a bad block.)
    I have run check disk on the server but the application log deosn't appear to give a report
    I can navigate to the server files from windows explorer but cannot open them

I have no idea what to do next.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
    • Edited by txchewy Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:00 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• Possibly your backup database got corrupted because of the disk errors. Best thing to do is run chkdsk a few times on all disks in your system.

Logon to your server desktop, open command shell ("DOS" window), then run the following commands.

1. chkdsk D: /x /f /r 
    2. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /f /r %1 
    3. chkdsk C: /f /r

System may ask you to run chkdsk at next boot (for C partition), Answer Y. Please note chkdsk may take a long time to run, so you may need to be patient. Results for chkdsk on C can be found in windows application eventlog , source winlogon.

If chkdsk finds no more errors the second time around watch your eventlog log closely for at least a week or so if any more of these bad block errors appear. If yes, your disk could be about to fail, and it's probably best to replace it.

If the disk seems to be OK you could try and repair your backup database from the WHS console, Settings Menu, Backup. If that doesn't fix it you may be facing a server reinstall
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, May 18, 2009 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by txchewy Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:54 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• Possibly your backup database got corrupted because of the disk errors. Best thing to do is run chkdsk a few times on all disks in your system.

Logon to your server desktop, open command shell ("DOS" window), then run the following commands.

1. chkdsk D: /x /f /r 
    2. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /f /r %1 
    3. chkdsk C: /f /r

System may ask you to run chkdsk at next boot (for C partition), Answer Y. Please note chkdsk may take a long time to run, so you may need to be patient. Results for chkdsk on C can be found in windows application eventlog , source winlogon.

If chkdsk finds no more errors the second time around watch your eventlog log closely for at least a week or so if any more of these bad block errors appear. If yes, your disk could be about to fail, and it's probably best to replace it.

If the disk seems to be OK you could try and repair your backup database from the WHS console, Settings Menu, Backup. If that doesn't fix it you may be facing a server reinstall
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, May 18, 2009 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by txchewy Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:54 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Thank you very much for your suggestions.  It seems like I have a bad disk.  I have used this as an excuse to upgrade to a mediasmart server which should arrive any day.  Thanks again for your help.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:54 PM