none
VRAP benefits - MOS Certification RRS feed

• Question

• I have been granted VRAP benefits via the VA.  I'd like to see if I can use them to gain MOS certifications.  I cannot find any reading/links to explain how to inquire.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:19 PM

Answers

• I started the VRAP program last summer and have just finished my first semester in community college.  If I remember correctly, when I applied for benefits, I had to certify that I was seeking employment in approved careers/industries.  I didn't find any career goals that would match any Systems Admin/Engineering, so I applied under Telecommunications.  The program at my community college is a good one that is geared towards Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).  After the four semesters (that are being financed by the VRAP stipend and state/federal grants) I will earn my AAS in Telecommunications and be prepared to sit for the two CCNA exams.

As background, I am an MCSE Windows 2000, MCSA Windows 2003 and N+ with 14 years of experience.  I went through some personally trying years recently and never bothered to upgrade my certifications to 2008.  From what I've seen by researching the certs, I'm simply going to study and sit the 5 MCSE exams for 2012.

Out of curiosity, what career/industry did you include on your application to receive your VRAP benefits?  I was under the impression that you had to already be registered in an approved training program.

One last thing also just as a heads up - Your VRAP monthly stipend amount depends upon how much training you receive during the month.  For example, since my semester ended mid-month in December after finals, I will only receive half a month worth of benefits come the first week of January.

To all the people in the thread that have asked about VRAP - It is a new program that just started last summer that grants an unemployed, prior service veteran aged 35 to 60 a monthly stipend (about $1,500 right now) to attend a VA approved training program.  This must be specified vocational programs or two-year associates degree studies.  The qualified veteran is granted 12 months total benefits, paid monthly as long as the enrolled program certifies the student's attendance records and grade point average.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:16 PM

All replies

• What is VRAP?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Hi Kingpin6866,

Any luck with your search?  I too have been granted VRAP but all I can find where I live is useless 2-year tech colleges programs that don't teach you anything useful.  I too am searching for a way to use VRAP for specific Microsoft training.

Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:30 PM
  • What is VRAP?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:44 PM
  • VRAP is a program for a certain class of veterans to assist with skill training (VRAP). I have used my VRAP benefits to attend two computer technology training classes at Security University. I am also looking to take some classes to bring my MS skills and credentials up to date.

Regards,

David

• Edited by DSipp Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:07 PM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:03 PM
  • I am not aware of this program and I have not been able to find any reference to such program in the various areas of Microsoft certification/training.  You will more than likely need to contact the administrators of the VRAP program to ascertain whether they cover Microsoft certification/training.

Jeff Wharton

Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:30 PM
  • I started the VRAP program last summer and have just finished my first semester in community college.  If I remember correctly, when I applied for benefits, I had to certify that I was seeking employment in approved careers/industries.  I didn't find any career goals that would match any Systems Admin/Engineering, so I applied under Telecommunications.  The program at my community college is a good one that is geared towards Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).  After the four semesters (that are being financed by the VRAP stipend and state/federal grants) I will earn my AAS in Telecommunications and be prepared to sit for the two CCNA exams.

As background, I am an MCSE Windows 2000, MCSA Windows 2003 and N+ with 14 years of experience.  I went through some personally trying years recently and never bothered to upgrade my certifications to 2008.  From what I've seen by researching the certs, I'm simply going to study and sit the 5 MCSE exams for 2012.

Out of curiosity, what career/industry did you include on your application to receive your VRAP benefits?  I was under the impression that you had to already be registered in an approved training program.

One last thing also just as a heads up - Your VRAP monthly stipend amount depends upon how much training you receive during the month.  For example, since my semester ended mid-month in December after finals, I will only receive half a month worth of benefits come the first week of January.

To all the people in the thread that have asked about VRAP - It is a new program that just started last summer that grants an unemployed, prior service veteran aged 35 to 60 a monthly stipend (about $1,500 right now) to attend a VA approved training program.  This must be specified vocational programs or two-year associates degree studies.  The qualified veteran is granted 12 months total benefits, paid monthly as long as the enrolled program certifies the student's attendance records and grade point average.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Thanks for the valuable information jshall1.  Just one point of clarification required.  Is this for U.S. residents as this forum is an international forum so people outside the U.S. visit it as well?

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:06 PM