Windows XP Activation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Being the family CIO, my girlfriend's mom asked me to fix some problems she was having with her computer - Windows XP Pro.

So, like any good IT guy, after fixing the issue she had, I made sure to get her computer updated.  She was on SP2.

I installed SP3, and got a notification that Windows was not activated.

I called the telephone activation line, entered the code when asked, and then the system asked me how many other computers this copy of Windows is installed on.  I have *no clue* as I didn't build this computer or install it.

I kept saying "I don't know," but it just kept asking me how many.

Finally, frustrated, I typed in "0" to try to get to an operator.  The system apparently interpreted that as me saying it was installed on zero other computers, and gave me a confirmation code.

At this point I was a little frustrated that I couldn't talk to a human, so I went ahead and entered the code it gave me, and it accepted it.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea if her copy of Windows is legit or not.  So I called the activation line back and got to a representative, and explained the situation exactly the way I explained it above.  He told me that everything is fine and not to worry.

I just thought I'd post this here and see what you guys think - should I worry?

Thanks.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:09 PM

Answers

• The only thing you have to worry about is if that Windows XP license is being used on a different computer.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:02 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:45 PM

All replies

• The only thing you have to worry about is if that Windows XP license is being used on a different computer.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:02 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:45 PM
  • "dave42343244" wrote in message news:695b3f47-60b0-4755-aa7d-87d3414db9bb...

Being the family CIO, my girlfriend's mom asked me to fix some problems she was having with her computer - Windows XP Pro.

So, like any good IT guy, after fixing the issue she had, I made sure to get her computer updated.  She was on SP2.

I installed SP3, and got a notification that Windows was not activated.

I called the telephone activation line, entered the code when asked, and then the system asked me how many other computers this copy of Windows is installed on.  I have *no clue* as I didn't build this computer or install it.

I kept saying "I don't know," but it just kept asking me how many.

Finally, frustrated, I typed in "0" to try to get to an operator.  The system apparently interpreted that as me saying it was installed on zero other computers, and gave me a confirmation code.

At this point I was a little frustrated that I couldn't talk to a human, so I went ahead and entered the code it gave me, and it accepted it.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea if her copy of Windows is legit or not.  So I called the activation line back and got to a representative, and explained the situation exactly the way I explained it above.  He told me that everything is fine and not to worry.

I just thought I'd post this here and see what you guys think - should I worry?

Thanks.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:49 PM