Windows Home Server stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My Windows Home Server (an HP MediaSmart Server) has stopped working.  Specifically, it still runs, and I can still access the shares.  However, I am unable to install the connector (client) software on an XP SP3 box.  This machine previously had the connector software, but I was unable to open the console.  I tried removing and reinstalling, and now am unable to reinstall due to the (discovery.exe) error: "This operation cannot be completed at this time. "

This happens when I run the connector software from the share that it auto-updates (\\server\software\Home Server Connector Software).

I've tried several items I've found in these forums, to no avail.  This is not due to a change that I made, so this is exceedingly frustrating; it worked great for over a year, but not being able to back up is not acceptable.  It's also very odd that a change would be made to the server to make the CD that came with the server stop functioning!  Especially the "Home PC Restore CD", which might be the only way to restore a machine; that, too, fails to find the server.

I am able to RDP to the server, and open the console from there.  Of course, I'm unable to restore any files from that instance of the WHS Console (seems like a bad product design decision; if I just needed one or more files, I should be able to do it from there -- but that's not the meat of this issue, this issue is the inability to install).

I have 3 other computers which have the connector software installed.  They are still being backed up (this one isn't, because I removed the client software which now won't reinstall).  However, like the XP SP3 box, I am able to see the files only in the console after RDPing to the WHS; their consoles also will not open, with the same symptom my XP SP3 box had, but I chose not to uninstall them as they do appear to be continuing to back up nightly.

I've tried uninstalling PP3 and reinstalling (via WU/MU).  I noticed that the files in the share (\\server\software\Home Server Connector Software) were down-graded after removing (the MSIs are dated 4/20/2009 and 4/12/2009); and after reinstalling PP3, they're now 10/7/2009.  So it does seem to be doing the right thing, at least as far as that share is concerned.

Both computers are set to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP", and I can ping back-and-forth (after RDPing to WHS, that is) using their short names: QUAD (XP SP3) and BACKUP (WHS).

From http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/cd61d565-3d5f-4e36-b470-be7a6088e3da/, which suggests Nvidia drivers are at fault, I noticed that I still had some installed (I had changed graphics cards to an ATI a few months ago -- note that this was not the trigger that made it stop working, either), and uninstalled them just now.  Then I tried installing the Connector software again, and I again got the "This operation cannot be completed at this time" (this is the discovery.exe tool reporting it, confirmed via Task Manager).

I've tried monkeying around with the permissions in "%allusersprofile%\application data\microsoft\crypto\rsa\machinekeys" based on another forum post, as well as a few others (Regedit, etc), to no avail.

Is there a good solution to this issue that seems to be affecting many?

Thanks,
    KenGUID

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:06 PM

Answers

• Ken,

Ok, I got it fixed by doing the following (which I found somewhere on this site and came back here to let you know that it worked):

Run Discovery by going to:

C:/ Programs Files / Windows Home Server and double-click on Discovery

I ran the program on both computers and now everything works the way it used to...

Thinking back, I think it stopped working when I hooked-up a wireless bridge to my tv (to allow the tv to access the Internet)...

Anyway, everything works again and I'm happy!

Hope you get (or got) yours working again too...

Good luck,

ItSucksToBeMe13
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:03 AM

All replies

• Also, I just fired up a clean VM with XP SP3, and attempted to install the software from the WHS share; I got the same "This operation cannot be completed at this time" error.  So it's definitely something on the server side, and not anything to do with my XP SP3 machine (QUAD), as a brand-spanking-new VM image is also unable to connect, using the updated software on the share (dated 10/7/2009).
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Hasn't anyone else experienced this???  81 people have now viewed this, but noone has responded.  Am I alone?  If so, how do I reset it?  I'm worried that if I try for the "factory reset" option, that I won't be able to -- because the HP MediaSmart Server doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, so I'd be depending on my "client" to handle transferring that data -- and my clients can't communicate with the server, so likely I wouldn't be able to fix it.  Anyone else having similar issues?  Bueller???  Should I contact HP?  Have them send me a new machine?  (And what would happen to the existing backups if I did...)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Ken,

Ok, I can't let you think you're the only one out there with this problem. What's going-on with those other 81-people? I have the same issues and haven't figured-out how to fix it (yet) - I just wanted you to know you are not alone.  '

How about it people? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

ItSucksToBeMe13
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:02 AM
  • Ken,

Ok, I got it fixed by doing the following (which I found somewhere on this site and came back here to let you know that it worked):

Run Discovery by going to:

C:/ Programs Files / Windows Home Server and double-click on Discovery

I ran the program on both computers and now everything works the way it used to...

Thinking back, I think it stopped working when I hooked-up a wireless bridge to my tv (to allow the tv to access the Internet)...

Anyway, everything works again and I'm happy!

Hope you get (or got) yours working again too...

Good luck,

ItSucksToBeMe13
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:03 AM
  • just checking, did you create a new restore cd, or are you trying the old outdated one?
    New one found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c&DisplayLang=en
    Install on a computer and you'll have an .iso file to create a new cd.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:21 PM