help with one care RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows live one care and it found trojandropper:win32/stration!zip now the problem is it wont clean it for me but I cant clean it either because it is in C:\System Volume Information\_restore.... and i  cant get access to it

is there any way to get access so I can fix it or is it a windows live onecare problem please some one help
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:41 AM

Answers

• Hi pabond;

If that Trojan detection in the system restore checkpoints is the only malware problem remaining on your system, then create a new restore checkpoint, Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Create a restore point.  Then flush all your old restore checkpoints except the one just created.  Start > Run > type "CLEANMGR" > click OK, and when the Disk Cleanup panel appears, tab to More Options and under System Restore, click Clean up to remove all but the most recent restore point.  Your system should be clean after that, and you still will have a restore point to fall back on if you would need it.

Regards, Dave
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi pabond;

If that Trojan detection in the system restore checkpoints is the only malware problem remaining on your system, then create a new restore checkpoint, Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Create a restore point.  Then flush all your old restore checkpoints except the one just created.  Start > Run > type "CLEANMGR" > click OK, and when the Disk Cleanup panel appears, tab to More Options and under System Restore, click Clean up to remove all but the most recent restore point.  Your system should be clean after that, and you still will have a restore point to fall back on if you would need it.

Regards, Dave
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:32 AM
  • yes it is the last one
    I tryed what you said but I cant access system restor because it can not find SRRSTR.dll and wants me to reinstall it  
    I think this is due to the fact that tihs computer was my grandmothers old work computer and was running on a privert network where all the restor stuff was saved but im not to shure im just a novice when it comes to this stuff

So from what you just toled me is it safe to assume that if I dont run a restor it wont be a problem and if I run a tune up with onecare will it create a new restorpoint and clear all the old ones?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:50 AM
  • If you don't run a restore it shouldn't be a problem, correct, but of course your system is less secure since it won't be available should you ever need it.  I suspect that any System Restore checkpoint created within OneCare would also call that same system dll and consequently fail.  As new checkpoints get created, the older checkpoints roll off the System Volume Information Area depending on how much space you have allocated to System Restore, but they don't all delete at once when a new one is built, eventually they will be removed.

You may be able to reinstall SRRSTR.dll using the "SFC /scannow" command, although an installation source disk may be necessary, if SSRSTR is not found in the DLLcache.  It would probably be a good idea to get that repaired for your own Safety before you get much further along on Granny's old system.  See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747   Some knowledgeable people claim that any used system should be formatted and re-installed before using it, since you usually don't know its complete history, and certainly that would also deal with the current infection problem.

Regards, Dave
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:41 AM
  • I've marked Dave's original post as the answer, since it is correct. Your secondary issue is not a OneCare problem. However, since the infection was allowed to make it to the System Restore points in the first place, it is a OneCare problem and you can optionally follow the advice in the pasted text below to get this resolved and the infected restore point removed.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:23 AM
  • thanks guys you have been a grate help I know his first answer was correct but its just not possable on my comp and what you said in your second answer well the computer is on loan untill I get a job and get my own computer so I cant format it and start all over I would love to but well its just not an option

this computer had majour problems when I got it it wouldent even get on the inet took me 4 days to fix all the problems but i got it done then i got onecare and cleaned all the malware out with the exception of that one so its running alot better now

well thanks again dave hopefuly I wont need to chat to you again (not that I didnt enjoy tyor input) but I think you have solved my last few problems

by the way what is your take on morro is it any good and when will the final product come out and will windows still have some sort of tune up avaiable to the public
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:46 AM
  • "by the way what is your take on morro is it any good and when will the final product come out and will windows still have some sort of tune up avaiable to the public"

My take on Morro is that it provides the same protection as OneCare since it is built upon the same engine and definitions set.
    We're guessing that we'll see MSE released by the time Windows 7 is on retail shelves, but nothing has been stated officially.
    there is no consolidated "tune-up" tool that collects the various bits that are already available in Windows like what OneCare does.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:24 PM
  • ok cool thanks mate I will keep an eye out for MS security Essentials take care and keep up the good work
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:28 PM
  • pabond;

You couldn't get more informed advice outside of Microsoft than what Steve just provided.  Thanks, Steve.  I'm also waiting until MSE comes out of Beta, since like you, I don't have a test system that I can play with.
    Regards, Dave
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:13 PM
  • yha I know I cant risk this comp if I messed it up my grand mother would kill me thats why UI was so worried about the malware but on the other hand she is happy to know that I have fix it up and put an anti malware program onhere cos she didnt have the money to do it now she wants me to fix her home computer to lol

any way thanks for all your help its good to see that there is ppl like you guys out there to help others that are in a jam  
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:30 PM