none
Unable to remove a hardrive properly. RRS feed

• Question

• I ran the drive removal tool and after several hours this is the error screen I see,

[IMG]http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss66/RonRock_photos/ServerScreen.jpg[/IMG]

How do I resolve this?

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:28 PM

All replies

• Disconnect the drive (it will show as "missing" in the console"), then remove it while disconnected. For more information about the risks to your data in a single drive failure scenario, see this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 28, 2010 6:58 PM
  • OK now that the new drive is installed and part of the pool. Is there any way to save my computer backups? When I go to the Backup Tab it shows all of my backups, but they are all greyd out. The file size indicates that the backups are actually saved, on the server. But when I try to open them I get the error message that the backup service is not running. I have gone into services and attempted to restart the WHS backup service as well as reboot the server as instructed.

I really don't want to loose the computer backups if there is any way to save them. After I resolve this iisue I plan to rebuild my WHS and add a backup drive to backup the backups.

When I took part of the WHS Beta the backup database was discussed as I recall and as I remember there was no concern to backup the backup as long as Duplication was enabled.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:24 PM
  • If your database is duplicated, it should be treated the same as any other file by Drive Extender. Replacing the failed drive should allow DE to "re-duplicate" the backup database (which could take many hours; shut your clients down overnight so there won't be any contention for the files in the database).

If it's not duplicated, the loss of any component of the backup database will damage the database as a whole. This is mentioned in the FAQ I linked. The only recourse you have is using the repair function, followed by a cleanup. This may save some backups, but probably not all, and depending on what files were damaged it may save none. You can also delete the entire database, which you may have to do anyway if repair doesn't get you access to backups. For the latter, you can find the locaiton in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief. 

Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:43 PM
  • If your database is duplicated, it should be treated the same as any other file by Drive Extender. Replacing the failed drive should allow DE to "re-duplicate" the backup database (which could take many hours; shut your clients down overnight so there won't be any contention for the files in the database).

If it's not duplicated, the loss of any component of the backup database will damage the database as a whole. This is mentioned in the FAQ I linked. The only recourse you have is using the repair function, followed by a cleanup. This may save some backups, but probably not all, and depending on what files were damaged it may save none. You can also delete the entire database, which you may have to do anyway if repair doesn't get you access to backups. For the latter, you can find the locaiton in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief.

Can you remind us how you make sure the database is duplicated?
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:24 AM
  • It requires a registry edit on your server to duplicate the backup database, so it's not a supported modification. You can also install the Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) add-in which has the ability to set that correctly (among other things).

Ron seemed to be implying that he had this turned on.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:27 AM
  • It requires a registry edit on your server to duplicate the backup database, so it's not a supported modification. You can also install the Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) add-in which has the ability to set that correctly (among other things).

Ron seemed to be implying that he had this turned on.

You are correct Ken. I have always had duplication turned on for all shares.

FWIW, I have done the Repair Backups and as expected some of  my computer backups were lost. But on the good side some were saved. So although it's not a completely happy ending it ain't all bad.

Again Thank You for all the help.

Ron

Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:40 AM