Production- and Test-CRM RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

Would it be ok to keep the CRM 3.0 databases from production- and the test-environment on the same SQL server? (with different names)

I'm going to use redeployment to create a test environment. Do I then have to copy the ReportServer db and ReportServerTempDB as well as the CRM databases?

That's two questions, I hope someone will help me with. Thanks!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:11 AM

Answers

• It should be possible to have CRM 3.0 databases form different CRM 3.0 deployments on the same SQL Server, though you will need to specify a different organization name for each deployment. However, you may be storing up problems in the future as this model would not work with CRM 4.0, as each CRM 4.0 deployment requires a database called MSCRM_CONFIG (In CRM 4.0 what you'd typically do instead is have one CRM deployment with multiple organisations, though you need the CRM Enterprise License for this). You may be better off installing 2 separate SQL instances for the different databases, though this requires disabling the Environment Diagnostics Wizard on CRM install (see http://blogs.msdn.com/ukcrm/archive/2006/08/17/microsoft-crm-support-for-sql-server-named-instances.aspx

)

If you use separate organisation names, then you can use the same Reporting Services instance. Copying the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases won't do any good - they have to be created as part of an installation of Reporting Services

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:56 PM

All replies

• It should be possible to have CRM 3.0 databases form different CRM 3.0 deployments on the same SQL Server, though you will need to specify a different organization name for each deployment. However, you may be storing up problems in the future as this model would not work with CRM 4.0, as each CRM 4.0 deployment requires a database called MSCRM_CONFIG (In CRM 4.0 what you'd typically do instead is have one CRM deployment with multiple organisations, though you need the CRM Enterprise License for this). You may be better off installing 2 separate SQL instances for the different databases, though this requires disabling the Environment Diagnostics Wizard on CRM install (see http://blogs.msdn.com/ukcrm/archive/2006/08/17/microsoft-crm-support-for-sql-server-named-instances.aspx

)

If you use separate organisation names, then you can use the same Reporting Services instance. Copying the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases won't do any good - they have to be created as part of an installation of Reporting Services

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Thanks a lot David, very good to know!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:42 AM
  •  

Righ on Dave, Although I have many Long term Dev environments for our client's projects.    We found that it may be a good Idea to create a virtual SRS server and when you build it, put the second instance of the SRS databases on the same SQL server as the first instance of SRS.   That will save you guys some CPU and memory but allow you to reach your goal.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:46 PM