Make local servers available outside my home RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there any way I can contact local servers (like http://ip-address:port as I can access them at home) available outside my home network? I have my WHS available to the world wide web using the setting in the config, but can I somehow access such pages from other applications on my server PC as well, through that same web page?

I hope you get what I mean.

Thanks in advance,
    Zinu.

Friday, April 9, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• You would have to remotely log into one of your machines first and then you could use your private IP addresses.
    --
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:37 PM
  • If you are asking whether you can host other web sites on your server, and make them available through the Remote Access web site, yes you can. Microsoft doesn't supply any built in tools to make such a task easy, however; you will have to develop the web site yourself and deploy it to your server. You can learn more about how to add links to the home page, and some very basic information about how to connect to the Windows Home Server security model (so that you could require users to log in first, and potentially restrict their access to your web application) by reading the Windows Home Server SDK .

If you're asking whether you can expose web sites on a different PC through your server, then no, I'm afraid not.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:47 PM