add ins that I would like to see RRS feed

• Question

• I just got a couple of the new add-ins installed and this got me thinking about other ones that I would like to see. First would be a light weight bittorent client. having a central place to run downloads at night would be great. Second, an easy way to configure additional websites hosted from the server. I have one running but configuring it in IIS is more than the average person will want to do. Third, I would like to see a way to import cd's and maybe even DVD's automatically. What would be great is to be able to place a new cd into the server and have it automatically import the tracks into my itunes library. I realize that doing this with DVD's has some questionable legal issues but for those of us that have acentralized dvd server this would be great also.

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:11 AM

All replies

• Here are a few add-ins I'd like to see developed:

1. Redirected folders addin (mimicking ActiveDirectory) so that all User Accounts are replicated on all computers attached to the Home Server, and that selected folders (My Documents, etc) are automatically redirected from the local machine to the Server. This would also synchronize all user names and passwords, so that I don't have to go to each machine and set up each user individually.
    2. Workstation Software Installation (ala SMS) - where I can set up a list of programs that I want installed on every machine that authenticates through WHS. That way, I can automate upgrades and deployment through my home network. It gets tedious having to go to several machines - even with Remote Access. An automated software deployment system would be very useful.
    3. Webguide (streaming media service that integrates with Windows Media Center/Vista Media Center). I understand that the company is already in the processing developing Webguide as an Add-In, but I wanted to list it here so that they (and others) see how much it's wanted.
    4. VPN functionality (ala Hamachi or similar). I'd like to be able to connect to any network and have the option to VPN rather than only use the WHS home site (xxxxxx.livenode.com). In fact, Hamahi would be a great Add-in for WHS.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Hi

Is'nt this kinda stepping outside what home server was intended for? Great suggestions but arn't they more intended for the "bigger" versions server family?

Friday, May 25, 2007 6:39 PM
  • It depends. Since the add-in is something extra, it becomes the end-users choice whether to install it. One of the great things about WHS is the ease of extensibility. If the end user is comfortable installing the Add-In, then why not let them.

I see WHS out-of-the-box being for the average home user that has multiple computers. They don't need (or want) a lot of complexity, so the 'base' install is fine for them. For those of us that want a few more features, but can afford (or don't want to buy Small Business Server (or need all of that sophistication)), the Add-Ins seem to be a great way to add features easily.

Friday, May 25, 2007 8:52 PM
  • Fair point Wink
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:28 PM
  • Well, as Windows Home Server (as said in documentation) is meant to be "tightly integrated into a hardware and software solution", or being sold as hardware and software together, the user would get a default install.  However, for system builders and hobbyists, I could see them allowing them to modulate features in WHS.

It would not be nearly as functional as SBS or WS2003, but it would still add some functionality to those who would want to have a cheaper and extensionable way of backing up media.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Here's an Add-In I'd like to see:

The SDK/OPK allows an OEM to build a Console tab that goes to the left of the 4 built-in tabs. OEMs will use this "home tab" for a landing page for their specific value-add capabilities.

However, when the product is purchased through the system builder channel, there will be no "home tab" (just as you don't see a home tab in the beta/CTP). 

I'd like a really nice "home tab" that showed an at-a-glance dashboard of my home server. Storage space, drive temps, CPU temp, memory pressure, up time, etc., etc...  It should be presented in a clean, easy to parse format. 

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:10 AM
  • I think this is a great idea. Further down the line it would be great if it supported a configurable interface like adding gadgets to the Vista sidebar. Using a whole tab for (as an example) Eds photosync add-in is a 'waste' of screen real estate, and  being able to create a dashboard would solve the issue.

Gordon

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:48 AM
  • How do you see that interacting for on a WHS that had bought an OEM version with a Home tab already? (I think it's a great idea, though!)
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:47 PM
  • Dead on! That's what I want to see too....
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Good question. Perhaps an optimization would be an option to allow the user to just use it as a normal tab (to the right of our standard 4).

Saturday, June 2, 2007 4:24 AM