none
MCITP Server Administrator Exams RRS feed

• Question

• It is my understanding that the MCITP Server Administrator Exams were based on the revisions to R2 and yet there weren't any training materials available to the public until June 2011. i.e. MS 70-642 2nd Edition.

I've been taking these exams since August 2010 and failed because 30% of the exam content was based on R2 revisions. Sure, I could go through every line on technet if I was lucky enough to remember each question.

In my opinion, it would be impossible to pass the exam if you got one question wrong using the available information in the old official MS training kits. Now that there is a new release, 2nd edition available, we have a chance to pass.

What about the money all of the Candidates spent on failed exams that we didn't have a chance of passing? Are we to be reimbursed?

Thank you,

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:29 PM

Answers

• A few thoughts/opinions:

• Training material such as books, MOC courses, or online content are not meant to serve as the only source of information when you prepare for an exam.  Instead, it is important to combine several sources including hands on experience in labs and at work.
    • There is usually a period when a new exam is released or an older exam is updated when training material is not available (or is extremely limited).  In such cases, many candidates have been successful when using the older training materials by combining them with new R2 labs (whether online Microsoft labs or personal labs in Hyper-V).
    • If Microsoft decided that they wouldn't produce updated exams (or new exams) until at least 5 books covering the content were available, you would probably be happy.  But, for every person that would be happy there would be another person that would be unhappy (in this case, the unhappy people would be the guys that were ready to take the test when R2 came out because they got their hands on the Beta and had spent a lot of time in the labs but instead they have to wait several months until the books are out before they can certify).  So there is a balance that has to be thought of.  I personally like the idea of releasing the exams as soon as possible (and hopefully, before or at the same time as the software is released).  That way, the candidates that are ready can get certified and sell themselves to employers and customers.

In the future, consider looking at the TechNet labs for part of your preparation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb467605

Also, think about acquiring a TechNet subscription so that you can download the latest versions of the software as they are released.  Such a subscription is a huge benefit for keeping your skills up to date and preparing for certification exams:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/default.aspx

Brian

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Interesting, because it was back in August of last year when Microsoft quietly changed the exams to include R2.  They were "called out" in these forums for not properly updating their certification site to note this.  It's only been within the past couple of months that the MS Press books have been updated with the R2 content.

Not surprising though, Microsoft will tern a deaf ear as to being reimbursed for the failed exams.  Their response has been "you should have known we'd change the exams when R2 was released". 

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:10 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• A few thoughts/opinions:

• Training material such as books, MOC courses, or online content are not meant to serve as the only source of information when you prepare for an exam.  Instead, it is important to combine several sources including hands on experience in labs and at work.
    • There is usually a period when a new exam is released or an older exam is updated when training material is not available (or is extremely limited).  In such cases, many candidates have been successful when using the older training materials by combining them with new R2 labs (whether online Microsoft labs or personal labs in Hyper-V).
    • If Microsoft decided that they wouldn't produce updated exams (or new exams) until at least 5 books covering the content were available, you would probably be happy.  But, for every person that would be happy there would be another person that would be unhappy (in this case, the unhappy people would be the guys that were ready to take the test when R2 came out because they got their hands on the Beta and had spent a lot of time in the labs but instead they have to wait several months until the books are out before they can certify).  So there is a balance that has to be thought of.  I personally like the idea of releasing the exams as soon as possible (and hopefully, before or at the same time as the software is released).  That way, the candidates that are ready can get certified and sell themselves to employers and customers.

In the future, consider looking at the TechNet labs for part of your preparation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb467605

Also, think about acquiring a TechNet subscription so that you can download the latest versions of the software as they are released.  Such a subscription is a huge benefit for keeping your skills up to date and preparing for certification exams:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/default.aspx

Brian

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Interesting, because it was back in August of last year when Microsoft quietly changed the exams to include R2.  They were "called out" in these forums for not properly updating their certification site to note this.  It's only been within the past couple of months that the MS Press books have been updated with the R2 content.

Not surprising though, Microsoft will tern a deaf ear as to being reimbursed for the failed exams.  Their response has been "you should have known we'd change the exams when R2 was released". 

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:10 PM
    Answerer