Install freezes on network driver for Intel DP67BGB3 motherboard. RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason WHS 2011 refuses all network drivers I try.  I even tried the executable and it says it can't find a network device.

I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and got to file--->new task and run EXPLORER.EXE to get the desktop and no driver I put on works.

I tried the cd that came with my motherboard.  I downloaded the driver from Intel.com.  I extraced the files from the installer I downloaded.  (I used winrar to extract the driver)  It list 3 different folders and I tried all all different drivers without success.

Plz let me know how you got yours to work.

-=Mark=-

Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:20 PM

All replies

• Which OS drivers did you download? WHS2011 is based off Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit. If you have the option try downloading those drivers. If not the windows 7 64bit have worked with me in most cases.

Another issue could be that your install media is corrupted or not complete. Are you installing Windows Home Server 2011 with a DVD or USB stick? I personally have some issues with USB sticks in the past and found this procedure works best for me.  http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/05/29/how-to-use-a-usb-stick-to-install-windows-home-server-or-anything-else-for-that-matter/

If its a CD try re-burning it and make sure to check the box to have it verified.

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Which OS drivers did you download? WHS2011 is based off Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit. If you have the option try downloading those drivers. If not the windows 7 64bit have worked with me in most cases.

Another issue could be that your install media is corrupted or not complete. Are you installing Windows Home Server 2011 with a DVD or USB stick? I personally have some issues with USB sticks in the past and found this procedure works best for me.  http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/05/29/how-to-use-a-usb-stick-to-install-windows-home-server-or-anything-else-for-that-matter/

If its a CD try re-burning it and make sure to check the box to have it verified.

I only tried the win 7 x64 driver.  2008 R2 said no support available.  I have been reading a lot on this issue and it seems Intel isn't supporting WHS 2011. Then I remembered I got a wireless NIC/Bluetooth with my board and was able to get it to work with 2008 R2 drivers from ralink.  but wireless is too slow.

The media is fine, it installs with no problems.  I do use a USB drive.  My DVD wouldn't install period no matter what and on three different machines. I don't know how you manged to get your optical drive to install.  It would always not give me a primary drive as it was seemingly detecting the dvd as primary.  It was a SATA DVD.  I was going to try a USB DVD, but it was apart and too lazy to put it back together.

I just installed WHS 2011 on my GigaByte H55N-USB3 without a hitch.  I had to download 2008 R2 drivers for the realtek 8111E from their website and it was win7 drivers.  It worked fine and runs great on my GigaByte board.

Hopefully Intel releases drivers for their NICs soon so I can use it.  or if you know of, or heard of any workarounds, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for the reply

-=Mark=-

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Further search has revealed this Intel network driver page.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18725&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20Server%202008%20R2%20Standard*&DownloadType=Drivers

It reports:

NOTE: The following devices do not have driver or software support for Windows Server 2008 R2:
     - Intel® 82566MC Gigabit Network Connection
     - Intel® 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
     - Intel® 82567LF Gigabit Network Connection
     - Intel® 82567V Gigabit Network Connection
     - Intel® 82577LC Gigabit Network Connection
     - Intel® 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

I have the 82579V chip on my board.  :(

Hopefully support comes soon.

-=Mark=-

Monday, May 23, 2011 10:09 PM
  • On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:09:31 +0000, mark260144 wrote:

Hopefully support comes soon.

Given that Windows Server 2008 R2 was released on July 22, 2009 I
    wouldn't hold my breath for support from Intel.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Apple:  Typically, a device used to seduce men.  Usually equipped with
    display screens and/or worms.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Further research came up with those chips being featureless chips and is why server 2008 R2 wasn't supported.  Hopefully it will be made for Windows Home Server 2011 since it won't need to have many features to work properly.

I found one post that a user was able to load 82579LM driver manually and was able to get WHS 2011 to work.  I tried, but the driver folder has about a half dozen different drivers in the same folder.  I found the right driver to use, I just can't select the one I need.  I can only select the folder as a whole and not the individual driver files.

Hopefully I figure it out soon, or I'll just return the board for one that has WHS 2011 nic support.  My GigaByte H55N works fine and uses the Realtek 8111E chip.  It may not not be the best chip, but I will have to pay another ~ $30 to get an Intel PCIe NIC Card.

Thanks

-=Mark=-

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:55 AM
  • On Tue, 24 May 2011 07:55:01 +0000, mark260144 wrote:

Further research came up with those chips being featureless chips and is why server 2008 R2 wasn't supported.? Hopefully it will be made for Windows Home Server 2011 since it won't need to have many features to work properly.

The networking subsystem on WHS 2011 is the same as Server 2008 R2, which
    was my point. Intel won't make a special driver for that card for WHS 2011
    as there's no need for them to do so.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    A bad random number generator:  1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4.33e+67, 1, 1, 1

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:02 AM
  • I've had a couple of situations like this in the past with other computer rebuilds / installs and sometimes it is easier just to move on. Head to best buy, micro center, new egg and pick up pci gigabit card.  Is hours of your time worth the $20 for a new NIC?

I had success with the win 7 driver for my Intel DH55TC mobo LAN chip: 82578DC .  The drivers came as an executable.  I then used UniExtract http://legroom.net/software/uniextract to get the files from said executable and then loaded up the network drivers.

Good Luck,

Tim

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:02 PM