I want to uninstall wga ... all of it RRS feed

• Question

• i don't just want to disable the pilot version.  i want it all off my machine.  i don't need the ms freebie software.  i want this spyware off my box.  any accidental acceptance clicks were based on little or no idea that ms would hijack my box.  i don't care if my binaries go south.  you get 1 legit check/activation.  period.  now.  please don't explain how i don't understand or appreciate all your hard work.  i only want to know what i have to do to wipe this spyware off MY box.  yes MY box.  awaiting only what i asked for.  not your "reasoning".  oh, and i don't want dan of it associates commenting.  he is awful.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 5:20 AM

Answers

• You would need to reformat your drive, reinstall Windows XP, then make sure to enable Automatic Updates and not visit the Windows Update web site directly.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 5:32 AM

All replies

• You would need to reformat your drive, reinstall Windows XP, then make sure to enable Automatic Updates and not visit the Windows Update web site directly.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 5:32 AM
  • That is awful!  Is this the official answer?  and if so, how can i get the necessary updates to keep the machine secure, avoiding the winupdate site AND without installing this spyware?
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 5:39 AM
  • WGA is not spyware....period. Like I mentioned earlier, enable Automatic Updates and do not visit the Windows Updates web site directly. Simply allow Automatic Updates to download critical updates and it will not install WGA since it is not a critical update.

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525/en-us

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 5:45 AM
  • ok ... she's gone now ...

YES, IT IS SPYWARE!

Now if microsoft was really intrested in keeping my windows genuine, this is how they would have done it, instead of sneaking in a EULA change ...

WGA would install and validate windows, and initiate a monitoring process that would notice if windows was suddenly unauthentic all by itself and repair it ... thus assuring genuineness.  this repeated checking is invasive, since it is not used for repair, but for forcing a new purchase or wipe of the box.

I want my complaint sent to senior microsoft management.  i don't think interacting with the forum drones serves any purpose but to inflame the billions of already furious customers on this spyware that microsft IS FORCING us to install.

and don't u dare ban me or delete this posting, just because i express the reality of this softwares purpose ...

spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 4:25 PM
  • Ummm, i'm certainly not up on techno stuff but i found my way to this forum because my machine downloaded WGA via automatic updates along with critical security updates. It may not be critical but it obviously is to microsoft, bless their little cotton socks!!
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 4:42 PM
  •  OneMichael wrote:

ok ... she's gone now ...

YES, IT IS SPYWARE!

Wrong.

OneMichael wrote:
    Now if microsoft was really intrested in keeping my windows genuine, this is how they would have done it, instead of sneaking in a EULA change ...

WGA would install and validate windows, and initiate a monitoring process that would notice if windows was suddenly unauthentic all by itself and repair it ... thus assuring genuineness.  this repeated checking is invasive, since it is not used for repair, but for forcing a new purchase or wipe of the box.

This astounding idea has at its core the assumption that some internal force changes XP installations from genuine to nongenuine.  Maybe the piracy fairies invade computers overnite.

Well, here's a news flash----people installing counterfeit and otherwise unauthorized copies of Windows is what makes Windows become "suddenly unauthentic."  There's no "all by itself."

OneMichael wrote:
    I want my complaint sent to senior microsoft management..

So fire up your email program and send it.

OneMichael wrote:
      i don't think interacting with the forum drones serves any purpose but to inflame the billions of already furious customers on this spyware that microsft IS FORCING us to install.

You were not forced to install anything.  There were no jack-booted Microsoft thugs with menacing black pocket protectors hovering over you at your computer threatening to put tape on your horn rim glasses if you didn't install the Notifications Tool.

Yup, and that "forum drones" comment will win friends and influence people, too.

OneMichael wrote:
    and don't u dare ban me or delete this posting, just because i express the reality of this softwares purpose ...

spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware spyware

Please explain exactly what "spying" was done.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 5:03 PM
  • oops ... Dan can't read.  He has missed his dis-invitation in the very first posting.   Either that, or he is a perfect rep for microsoft ... "attack the customer" first, think never.  the legit customer who's only problem is that he wants this spyware of his legit machine.  the genuine customer who is having no wga problem, other than it's existence and the deceptive tactics used to hijack my legit pc.  again, no errors, just the knowledge of being raped by the vendor i gave money to.  i just want to know the files and reg entries to delete or rename to kill this spyware that i do not want on my pc.

please provide that info.  if it can be installed, it can be uninstalled.  i don't want to rebuild the box.  i just want this spyware off my machine and i don't want it sneaking back on.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:15 PM
  • There is no legitimate unistall technique for the latest version of WGA.  If there were, I'm sure all the crooks selling and installing illegal, non-genuine Microsoft software would be delighted.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:26 PM
  • as would i ... a legit customer.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:28 PM
  • Do all MS employees on this forum have to be trained in smugness before they're allowed to answer posts? If I may say so, the tone of comments here is shockingly disrespectful, particularly when people on here are having genuine problems. Please stop treating everyone as if they are either idiots or criminals.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:32 PM
  • I am not a Microsoft employee.  I have not posted any response that is disrespectful.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:43 PM
  • OneMichael,

I can read.

I can read incorrect statements you make.

I can write to correct the incorrect statements you make.

And this is a public forum, so I get to ignore  "i don't want dan of it associates commenting.  he is awful."

And you would have been very disappointed if I did not comment, wouldn't you?

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:48 PM
  • Walafrid,

I am not a Microsoft employee.

I take a factual, businesslike approach when responding to posts asking for assistance.  These posts are mostly in the Validation Problems section.

Here in the Feedback and Comments section, there are a lot of posts from people with an attitude.  When responding to posts from people with an attitude, I take a more "editorial" approach.  If they make an incorrect statement, I do not feel bashful about correcting them.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:56 PM
  • Dan and Carey,

I apologise for that incorrect assertion that you were MS employees, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from. As far as I can see, OneMicheal has a legitimate question - why can't non-critical software like WGA be uninstalled without a reformat of the hard disk? But your answers seem to me to be little short of brusque (or business-like, as Dan prefers to call it), and are certainly little short of patronising. Dan has told someone they are plain "Wrong", without giving a good reason and Carey's answer was similarly abrupt: "WGA is not spyware...period".

It is unlikely that people here have come just to annoy someone - I know I didn't. I wanted to find out what was going on with WGA, which I was concerned about. Such concerns will not be addressed by the tone of some members here - which I still think is disrespectful, even if Carey says not.

So let's try and find out the answers - but I think the whole process would go down a lot better if it wasn't assumed by some that they have a monopoly on the facts. Incidentally, I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, I just wanted to suggest that there's a better way of helping people than gunning them down.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 8:30 PM
  • hi guys

was transfered here by ms

so thought id give my 2 peneth

firstly i have to agree with both sides.

piracy is on the increase, but we are all victims of it.

i myself bought a pc from a boot sale, silly i know.

but i saw it working and had all the backup disks needed, or at least i thought it did.

by the way, it was powered up by a generator, as the guy had several pc,s for sale.

so i had no reason to dought there would be problems.

it even had service pack 2 installed.

after a week or two pc locked up and i could not for the life of me find out why.

so i thought ive got all the backup discs i need so i will refomat hard drive,

after reformatting i put sp2 back on, and this one is for you carey, i put automatic update on.

after the update, by the way there were about 40, up pops this wga.

so i feel onemicheal has a valid point.

we are not all villans, its just some of us like a bagain and we loose our senses.

to me at the time it was a bargain, i saw it working, i even played with it myself. the pc that is, so i had no reason to think i was,nt getting a genuine deal.

ive even still got invoice for purchase.

i just think that microsoft should come to some sort of an arrangement with victims of piracy, we are not all criminals.

ps: the windows xp disc looked genuine to me, case and all, even activation bar code on the back.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 11:35 PM
  •  OneMichael wrote:

i don't just want to disable the pilot version. 

The WGA Notifications is now a full-release program.

There are multiple KB articles and posts about the pilot versions of WGA Notifications. http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=510922&SiteID=25, which the posting is very specific for the pilot (version 1.5.532.2 and earlier) removal.

-phil liu

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 11:49 PM
  •  Walafrid wrote:

So let's try and find out the answers

There will be notifications made throughout the web-site and forum announcing many upcoming things directly from our team.

-Phil Liu

Program Manager,

Windows Genuine Advantage

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 11:50 PM
  •  

phil im not saying i want to disable or remove wga, that was onemicheal.

what im saying is id like a genuine copy of windows xp.

why does microsoft think that everyone is a villan.

onemicheal is happy to run as he is as long as he does,nt have wga pop up every time he boots up, thats fine and i feel you,ve resolved his issue.

but i want more than that

i want a legit pc that i can pass on to my kids with no fear of a knock on the door for piracy.

im not one for illegal actions, and never will be.

i can send you my copy of windows xp pro and see if you can tell the difference.

i can afford a genuine disc of xp, but feel that microsoft have no empathy for people who maybe cant and have fallen victims of crime.

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 12:35 AM
  •  

my version is 526

can anything be done with this?

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 8:49 AM
  • If you open up this link www.microsoft.com/genuine  and click validate windows, when you fail it should give you a button that says "Get Genuine" if you click the button it should lead you to where you can order a WGA kit.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 10:03 AM
  • Since when is it full-release? Today I got a new version, or maybe a bug keeps trying to re-update an old one.

I keep getting asked to install it, about every two weeks. Are all the previous one's beta? Should you be putting that buggy junk out (oh well, don't answer that).

Is it really that hard for you to tell if W is genuine? Are there new fake versions every week that fool the old test programs?

One reason XP can't stay up for long is all the reboots required for bug fixes!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 8:19 PM
  • I see maybe it is 'full release' very recently, after fixing some the hacks to get around it, and to remove some of the phone home behavior that has caused a lawsuit agains MS.

Oh yes, XP goes down again due to the update. Thanks for all the extra work MS!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 8:46 PM