• I have 3 drives :
    1. - 500 GB (System),
    2. - 1 TB (Data),
    3. - 1 TB (Data),

As of today disk drive usage:
    1. 20%,
    2. 80%,
    3. 5%,
    Obviously my data are not protected, for all the files I have activated the file duplication. Who could help me on that ?
    Regards

Monday, May 19, 2008 10:29 AM

All replies

• How much data do you have in your shares? That looks like a fairly normal usage pattern to me, assuming you started with an EX470, added a 1 TB drive when storage started getting low, and have just recently added a second 1 TB drive.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Fasterix ,

I think you,like a lot of people, are maybe a little confused by the WHS term of Storage Balancing.

WHS tries to keep files together, as much as possible and tries to fill the space on one drive before going on to the next one. This is overridden by the duplication option, but other than that, the first premise applies. At the other end, WHS won't completely fill a drive, it leaves about 20Gb space on each drive - not a percentage of the space, but a fixed amount.

Ken's scenario is accurate, and in that case as you see, it's an efficient use of the available space.

Colin

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:58 PM

• Colin,
    How can you secure you data on only 1 drive?

The WHS approach is really confusing:
    1. Back-up data (from remote PC) - No problem you have more than 2 replicate,
    2. Date which are "collected" by WHS, apparently they are duplicated (?)
    3. Data which are stored directly from a client PC - No protection, no redundancy...
    Am I right in my approach?

For example, I directly store my music/photo/videos from the client PC to the WHS drives (as a mapped drive). Does it mean that there is no protection on these files?

If it's the case I have nearly consolidate 600 GB of digital picture on my WHS. So they are not protected.... !

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:07 AM
  • Fasterix, you should take a look at the Drive Extender and Home Computer Backup technical briefs. They explain how Windows Home Server stores files and backups, and should answer many questions.

To answer your specific points above:
    1. Correct. At a minimum, you have the copy of the data that Windows Home Server backed up, and you have the original.
    2. Windows Home Server doesn't collect files (other than the automatic backups) on it's own.
    3. If you have two disks, and if you have enabled duplication for a share through the Windows Home Server Console, then the files in that share have copies stored on two disks in your server, protecting you from the loss of any single disk. If you haven't enabled duplication for a share, then there's only one copy of any given file, and if the disk that copy is on fails, the file is lost.
    Can you confirm that you added disks to your server as I described above? If you start with a server that has only a single disk, duplication can't be enabled. If you then add disks, it isn't turned on automatically. I think that's where you are today.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:56 AM