Windows 10 and Motherboard change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, So, I got my free copy of Windows 10 months ago, some time ago I upgraded, when it offered me to, everything ran ok, but now that I changed my motherboard (plus everything but my HDD), it won't recognize my activation key. I've been having no issue (for a hour or so) until now. It now says my windows is not genuine. I read Microsoft linked your free Win10 to your motherboard, ok, but I also read they have solved this...

Either way, what can I do? Is it lost? Only way now is to buy it?

I heard only people who could recover it (after a motherboard change) was people who bough it, and not free upgraders.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 11:30 PM

Answers

• The Windows 10 offer was for an upgrade - from the original valid OS.

Changing the motherboard invalidates the upgrade license.

If your original License was OEM, then it would also be non-valid on a changed motherboard, and you will have to purchase a new license for whichever version of Windows you want.

If your original license was FULL RETAIL, then you will have to install that on the new motherboard, and go through the upgrade process.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:12 PM

All replies

• The Windows 10 offer was for an upgrade - from the original valid OS.

Changing the motherboard invalidates the upgrade license.

If your original License was OEM, then it would also be non-valid on a changed motherboard, and you will have to purchase a new license for whichever version of Windows you want.

If your original license was FULL RETAIL, then you will have to install that on the new motherboard, and go through the upgrade process.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Alright, thanks
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:28 PM