Slow network access RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having slow access issues when connecting from my Vista client to WHS.  I'm using a Billion 7404VGP router and 100Mb NICs on both PC's.

The problem occurs when I try to navigate to WHS in Windows Explorer.  It takes about 5-10 seconds to show the folders and after I click on a folder it takes 5-10 seconds to show the contents.  The same problem occurs regardless of what folder or subfolder I navigate to.  It even causes a delay when going back to a folder that has already been accessed (i.e. I click on \\whs\photos, 10 second delay, then click on \\whs\videos, 10 second delay, then return to \\whs\photos and there's another 10 second delay).

FWIW, transfer speeds for a 700MB file are about 10MB/second.

Any ideas what is causing this and/or how to fix it?
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:08 AM

All replies

• 10MB/s for a 100Mbps connection is normal.  100Mbit - overhead = around 10 MB/sec.

As far as the delay, could it be the configuration of your WHS?  You didn't state anything about the hardware you are using to run WHS.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:44 PM
  • I'm not too concerned about transfer speed, that was added to inidcate there are no problems.

The WHS is on an Athlon 3200 with 1GB RAM on a Gigabyte K8NSC motherboard.

Regards,
    Ryan
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:33 PM
  • I'm having the same issue on FIRST access to a share... slow to open any share, then once I've connected it navigates b/n folders nicely.  I'm using a Gigabit switch to connect WHS and my Desktop (both with Gigabit adapters).  My laptop connects through router at only 100 but it experiences same lag time as the gigbit connected desktop.  My NAS (at 100) was faster!  My WHS is Althlon64 3800+/2GB Ram

Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:59 AM
  • I am getting the same problem (but not just with the first access) - WHS is on a HP MediaSmart Server (AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz, 512MB RAM), accessing from various XP / Media Center PCs.

Any suggestions?

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:54 AM