Windows Live OneCare 2.0 OFFLINE INSTALLER RRS feed

• General discussion

• Windows Live OneCare 2.0 OFFLINE INSTALLER

Hello to Live OneCare Team!
    I liked this software very much & it has an excellent features of catching viruses,spywares & lot more...
    Well, as its a 90-days trial version so sometimes it might difficult to install it because it needs to download all files for installation.
    So, I request you,THE LIVE ONECARE TEAM,that please release the offline installer for windows live onecare 2.0.
    I hope you may like it!
    BYE...

Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:49 AM

All replies

• This would have no real value, since the program is designed to operate as a subscription service, so the code itself is constantly changing. This means that any offline download will become out of date in a very short time, so if someone tried to install such an older version offline, it would have to be immediately updated from the online system anyway.

For this reason, even the final CD versions of OneCare really just contain some of the common support files like .NET 2.0 and MSXML while the rest of the program is actually downloaded from the WLOC Internet update servers. If this isn't working properly on a PC there will be problems as soon as the next set of updates are deployed anyway, so it's better to find this out during installation rather than later. This is especially true during a beta, since the changes are coming even more often than for a release version.

OneCareBear

Sunday, August 26, 2007 8:21 PM
  • but there is a problem during installation,the seup quits when it reaches half of its installation!!!
    Monday, August 27, 2007 3:38 AM
  • I know that installation can be quite frustrating when the installation fails after downloading a significant amount of data. I think it would be a good idea to provide a base installer that includes the latest core and support files, for an offline installation, so that you would not need to download all of it again each time if it fails. Unfortunately, though, as OneCareBear points out - the reason for the online installation is to give you a fully up to date installation from the get go. If your installation fails, using an off-line installer would really only save you a small amount of download time overall, since the latest bits would still need to be downloaded and applied.

If you are having problems with the installation, what error are you encountering? It would seem to me that the problem needs to be identified and corrected so that the install can proceed fully while connected.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:29 PM
  • If you are recieving setup errors, suggest to remove any previous versions of OneCare (if applicable) by using the tool located here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2
    Monday, October 8, 2007 2:16 AM
  •  

An offline installer is useful for other 2 reasons:

1. If you have more computers to install (install big core offline and then you can apply small fixes/updates later by going online)
    2. If your connection is really slowly (I have a ISDN connection and much people in italy have a slow connection)

I download big amout of data in my office and I'll install later at home, so I think very useful an offline installer.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 1:55 PM
  • kubnet,

You're talking about something different I believe, an installation set that you would download and then install later from a local copy?

The problem with this idea is that the version that is downloaded might be replaced immediately after you had downloded it, meaning it would be out of date and need to be updated again. Since people tend to keep such things, it would likely become common for them to try installing from an old set of software, potentially causing other problems.

Actually, the new Multi-computer Circle system added to OneCare 2.0 offers a potential future solution similar to what you propose. It might be possible to use the first PC (Hub) in a Circle to support the update and even installation of other Circle member PCs. This way, when the first PC in a Circle downloads an update it makes the Hub aware that it exists, allowing the Hub to acquire a copy itself and deliver it to any others that need it. This way, only the first PC needs to perform the initial download and all of the others would share it in a peer to peer manner. The system might also designate either the Hub or another PC to perform the downloads, so two wouldn't be attempting the download of the same update at once.

I don't know if there's any intent to do this, but it would have the same results as the current system with less potential bandwidth used for both the user and the download servers.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:13 AM
  • There is no problem with the idea of an offline download nor will there ever be.  Sure it may become outdated immediately but it is certainly better than the people i know that have purchased the cd in a store....how outdated would that be? hahahha

This would allow people to help other people via other means of installation.  Onecare should be providing an offline solution for people with problems beyond what they understand.  A cleanup tool helps but it does not solve all problems. 

Where oh where is the offline installer.....

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Purchasing a CD in the store gets you a retail product key and a box with a CD in it. When you insert the CD it runs the check to make sure you meet the pre-qualifications for the installation and then connects to the OneCare download servers to download all the files needed for installation, so there is no off-line installation from CD, either.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:54 PM
  •  

If its good enough for Norton, the largest virus defense software application then it should be good enough for microsoft.  Lets say in some crazy scenario that spyware or virus's are effecting connectivity on a machine.  And the company decides to install onecare on some machines, how would you acheive this on the machine without wiping it?

You should have an offline installer which updates when a connection is active, just like norton.  This way effected machines can be possibly cured by the out of date definitions.

On this occassion I have had to use Norton, and it has resolved my issues for the business.  I was considering purchasing it for the company, and the lack of offline installer has pushed me towards Norton.  I hope you rectify this.

Regards,

Shadiec

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:27 AM
  • If your PC is infected, installing any antivirus product to try and resolve the infection is touchy at best. If you know the PC is infected, you can try an online scan from http://safety.live.com which uses the same signature data as OneCare or a 3rd party product.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:06 PM
  •  

I totally understand your arguement Stephen.  But, norton has resolved this issue for me.  And like i said in my post the machine was effected by by a virus or spyware effecting its connection to the internet.  This included 3rd party browsers such as firefox.  Live Onecare hasnt got an offline installer, so i used Norton instead, old definitions, but it cleared all the issues on the machine and saved me a rebuild.

Facts are what i see.  Live Onecare doesnt have an offline installer and didnt help me resolve my issue, and Norton's did and it resolved my issue.  Those are the facts of the situation.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:18 PM
  • True enough... I think that the better solution for an infected system that can't connect to the Internet to perform an online scan is to use a scanner that runs from a thumb drive or CD. OneCare doesn't have one of these, either, though. Microsoft has the Malware Detection and Removal Tool that is updated monthly and McAfee has the Stinger tool. I suspect that other similar utilities are available and it would be nice to see something similar for OneCare - perhaps even a bootable emergency disk that can be used to scan a system using the latest signatures available when the disc was burned. Assuming you had access to another PC either running OneCare to create the disk or the ability to download the program and burn it, this would be a better solution that installing the full OneCare package with all of its various dependencies and modules which could be hindered by the infection that already exists on the PC.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Hello,

I am a student of Technical Institution and I use institute LAN for internet access. I have to use a HTTP proxy for accessing internet (the proxy server also requires authentication username/password). Hence for an application has to support HTTP proxy if it has to access internet. Since OneCare setup doesn't neither has any offline installer, nor it support any proxy; hence I am unable to find a way to install it. I guess I would be able to get any OneCare update from Microsoft update website as the website support proxy server (Automatic windows update does not work). Please tell me any possible way to get it installed, it there exists such. If there is no option, I sincerely request the OneCare team to include proxy support in the installer).

Thanx,
    Anshuman Shukla
    Monday, January 7, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Actually, OneCare won't work with an authenticating proxy server, so even if you could install it, it would not be able to obtain updates or communicate with the server.

-steve

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:28 PM
  • I have to state my case regarding the need for an offline installer. I've been using OneCare since it was in beta (and thus never obtained an install CD in the store because I've always downloaded it), and I frequently have steered people towards using it. Whenever I set up another's computer, I replace whatever their security package is with OC. I've had several instances where the end-user was using dial-up (yes, people still use that).

More often than not, that's fine, because I set up their computer at my shop and then deliver it to them after all has been set up on my broadband connection. The problem arises when after delivery something "new" becomes a problem, and bringing their computer back to my shop isn't really an option. Case in point: after adding  PCs to the user's circle, the "make this PC a hub PC" disappears, and the suggested option (aside from a note in another post suggesting that you must be Admin for the option to be there, even though the poster clearly indicated that he WAS logged on as admin) is to uninstall the complete program and reinstall, then specify after the option (hopefully) reappears. Via dial-up, that becomes quite a pain, for a few reasons, 1) it's not a 100% guaranteed fix, so at dial-up speed that quite a potential waste of time for something that may not work, 2) I can't install easily and leave with the user confident that the program is good to go (we tried this once and the download / install was interupted after I left), 3) they don't want to pay for all the time I'm there while the download is being done, and I don't expect them to want to.

If there was an offline install package available, then even if it immediately replaced itself, then at least the core program could be installed, I could complete the setup, registration, and activation in the company of the customer, and both customer and I could conclude the session knowing that the program, immediately obsolete or not, is installed, activated, and for all intents and purposes is "hands off", and operational for the non-tech user, so they can feel good that it will persistently hammer away at updating itself on a potentially shakey dial-up connection, which CANNOT be said about the required connect / download / install method. 

This perhaps could have been avoided if the CD was bougt in the first place, but there are some concerns about that method, too... 1) the first two machines in the circle were already configured via the downloaded version (actually, all three were, but the third seems to need a re-install), 2) from other items I've read, it would seem that even if I had an actual install CD, that doesn't include the full program install anyway. So that also poses the question, what "it can be done from the CD installation" options are available to somebody that has already paid for the online download? Perhaps there should be a method of requesting a "free" CD (as a part of the paid online download version) that has the same activation scheme as the online download version so that it can be installed and associated with the same account.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Unfortunately, their will never be an offline installer for OneCare for at least two reasons.
    1. Development of future versions of OneCare has ceased. There will only be minor changes to OneCare through its end of life, slated for the end of 2010. OneCare will no longer be sold or be able to be renewed after the latter part of 2009.
    2. The OneCare installer *always* goes online to obtain the latest bits of itself for the installation. That includes dependencies such as .Net and the latest virus signatures and firewall rules.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:01 PM