Home Server 2011 & Drive Extender RRS feed

• Question

• I have the original version of WHS and wanted to upgrade to the new version. However, I just learned that MS made the very unfortunate decision to remove Drive Extender. Why in the world would they do that? This is one of the key features of WHS and it will make me not purchasing WHS 2011. Didn't they stop smoking a long time ago or what is the reason behind this decision?
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:54 AM

Answers

• I agree with your comment - simple data duplication and ease of extension were the two main reasons for choosing the home server. With these functions missing, there are no reasons for choosing WHS.
    • Marked as answer by hfaun Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:23 AM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:04 AM

All replies

• There are numerous threads regarding this very same issue. In a nutshell: either keep using WHS v1 until it isn't supported anymore or learn to use a RAID solution. I myself am going the RAID route. The 2TB limit sucks beyond belief but it is what it is.
    When in doubt empty the magazine...
    • Proposed as answer by EastBayRae Friday, March 4, 2011 9:38 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Not sure why you need RAID. Why not just back up your server automatically? OK, there is a time period when there is only one copy of the data but if server backup is run often enough, the risk is relatively low.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Maybe he refers to RAID 0. However that is increasing the chance of failure and data loss. You can have of course another JBOD to automatically backup the WHS and another backup that you keep off-site. But I purchased WHS to keep things simple, i.e. redundancy on WHS with one off-site backup.

The other big issue with RAID is that you need more hardware (unless you use the MB RAID) and HDs of the same size (or are there inexpensive RAID solutions without that requirement?). That means if I need to upgrade to more storage I need to replace all my existing HDs instead of taking out the smallest one and pop in the biggest one currently available. The latter is very convenient and cost effective whereas the former is expensive and more complicated.

I can't believe MS actually killed this. Unbelievable. That was the best part of WHS. Totally takes the wind out of the sail (and sale with my vote) for WHS.

Friday, March 4, 2011 9:55 PM
  • I agree with your comment - simple data duplication and ease of extension were the two main reasons for choosing the home server. With these functions missing, there are no reasons for choosing WHS.
    • Marked as answer by hfaun Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:23 AM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hard drives will fail thus something like a RAID 5 or 6 gives you the ability to have a drive failure without data loss. This was also true with drive extender. I have numerous different backup solutions in place (drive image, unique applications to backup specific data, etc.) for all of my systems. For me unless you have a big RAID (I use a RAID 6, currently 8-2TB drives, will be moving to 3TB drives) it is impossible to keep all of my backups in one location on some of my systems even external 2TB drives are not large enough for the backups of one system (currently it requires about 8TB just for the boot image of my systems) then I have about 5TB of stuff in my libraries. Having been burned with image backups in the past I keep five versions for each system. In that MS has dropped the drive extender for me the best solution is the Netgear ReadyNas rndp600u-200nas. I can start with my spare 2TB & 1TB drives and slowly replace the smaller drives with 3TB drives (this was the neat thing about the drive extender). The one bad thing about the Netgear unit is that it is limited to 6 drives.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 9:10 AM