>2TB Drives in Vail's DE storage pool? RRS feed

• Question

• Are >2TB drives supported in Vail's DE storage pool? 2.5TB drives are expected to be on the market by the end of this year.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:56 PM

Answers

• Yes, we tested up to 8 TB (hardware RAID striped) and 3 TB (single drive) internally.
    Bulat Shelepov, Test Lead (Drive Extender), Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:59 PM
  • No,

Unless you have a UEFI machine, Windows with BIOS can't see >2TB system disks.

thanks,

Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:17 PM

All replies

• Yes, we tested up to 8 TB (hardware RAID striped) and 3 TB (single drive) internally.
    Bulat Shelepov, Test Lead (Drive Extender), Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:59 PM
  • 3TB drive eh?  Who makes that one?   ;)
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Nobody sells them yet, that's for sure :)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:48 PM

Sweet.... this is exciting.   I am waiting for GA when mymovies works on v2

Chris

Chris Noland Flower Mound, TX
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Can >2TB drives be also used as system drive?
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:40 AM
  • No,

thanks,

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Does Vail support UEFI out of the box?
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:06 AM

No,

thanks,

So as  i get it, Vail will work the same way 2008 R2 works, your boot drive has be smaller then 2TB, but after loading the OS (and raid driver), you can have when you use GPT and format whit a 4KB clusters size then you would  have a 16TB array, and whit a 64KB clusters size it would give you a 256TB array.

Am i correct in my assumptions ? are that the (theoretical) limits of Vail?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:49 PM
  • UEFI is invisible to OS that dose not support  it, but i assume that Vail will support it as its build from Win 2008 server that dose support it
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:22 PM