MSMPENG.EXE running at 100% CPU 24/7 RRS feed

• Question

• MSMPENG.EXE is running at 100% CPU 24/7

I have done several complete scans and rebooted thinking OneCare needed to clean something.

I have uninstalled and re-installed OneCare.

I do not have Windows Defender installed.

I'm running Windows XP SP3.  SP3 was just recently installed.  This problem may have started with SP3, but since this is my little siblings computer, I don't know for sure.

This system is very clean.  I have 7+ user profiles for various family members and friends.  Minimum software installed; Office 2007 + Google Sketchup + Paint.NET + MGTEK dopisp.  Everyone is a "Limited" user aside from myself and one brother.  We hadn't touched the system in some time and it WAS working properly.

This is a Lenovo T40 system I keep 100% updated using Lenovo's Thinkvantage "System Update" software.

Please help me fix this.  This might be an older system but it's the family internet/homework system, and normally it runs like a champ.  ...My siblings have airsoft guns, and if this isn't resolved soon I could find myself in a world of pain.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:05 PM

Answers

• MSMPENG.exe running at 100% CPU typically means that something is conflicting with the protection engine service. Please contact support to verify that all services required are running and that nothing is conflicting. It is possible that the SP3 update disabled a service (or enabled one) that is causing the issue.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:53 PM

All replies

• MSMPENG.exe running at 100% CPU typically means that something is conflicting with the protection engine service. Please contact support to verify that all services required are running and that nothing is conflicting. It is possible that the SP3 update disabled a service (or enabled one) that is causing the issue.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:53 PM
  • I upgraded to SP3 and now my computer is running MSMPENG.EXE > 50% CPU.

I had to run subinacl to change registry permissions when SP3 was installed.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:49 AM
  • I have no clue what or why you had to modify registry permissions to install SP3 unless there was already an issue on your PC.

However, MSMPENG running at greater than 50% of CPU is not normal. As indicated in many other threads on the topic, when this process uses excessive CPU it is an indication that it is either conflicting with another process or some other process is doing excessive file access, causing it to scan many files continually. If you can't identify the cause, please contact support:

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:38 PM
  •  

I am not "getting_imparient" but when I post a reply it assigns that name to my post.

I am gettting the same behavior on my two Windows XP Pro 32bit systems that I use at home.

I had to run subinacl.msi before Windows XP SP3 would install.  Installation of SP3 failed with "permission error" and Microsoft's posted solution was to install

subinacl.msi and run the following script. 

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbos

I ran msconfig and rebooted in diagnositic mode.  The system came up with a minimal set of processes and msmpeng was not present. A popup said I had to

regesiter XP with Microsoft.  I rebooted after selecting normal startup in msconfig and I was annoyed to get the regesiter popup.  I did reregister.  The problem

with msmpeng has stopped.  I hope it will not come back.

Rick in Parker CO

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Hey

Can you provide me with the following infromation to understand why CPU is pegging at 100%

1. Open OneCare

2. Click on Change Settings

3. It will open a window "Windows LiveOne Care Settings"

4. Click on the Last tab labelled as "Logging"

5. Click on "Create support Log" button

6. It will create the support log file in form of HTML and display it in Web Browser like IE

7. Can you send me that information through email at montyj@microsoft.com

Thanks

Monty[MSFT]

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:25 PM
  • bassseason here, I have a similar problem msmpeng.exe runs at 100% for quite a while freezing my computer at start up for approx. 5 to 10 minutes. Service executable has stopped working then appears and asks if I want to search for a solution but it finds nothing.

What can I do to fix both of these issues. Brand new Sony Vaio laptop VGN-FW245J  rav310 at netzero.com dont spam please

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:09 AM
  • bassseason said:

~snip~
    dont spam please

When you provide your email address in a public forum, it's not some human with a heart that gathers your address.  The gathering entity is a computer who's sole task is to browse public internet forums and harvest email addresses for spam lists, either to send it To: you, or to forge it as a fake From: your address.  No spammer will ever see your plea against sending SPAM.

Generally, experienced forum readers interpret providing an email address as not caring enough about getting an answer that you're willing to take the trouble of returning to this forum to find out what anyone has replied.  In addition, a private email response would help no one else reading this forum but you.

There already was an answer to this question provided above, "If you can't identify the cause, please contact support:"  Support can look at your system remotely, we cannot.
    Regards, Dave
    • Edited by Dave__M Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:35 PM grammer
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:19 AM
  • Regarding the problem reported in the original post, the likely cause is ThinkPad Diagnostic Event Logging, and this can probably be corrected by either turning off event logging, or by adding the C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities folder to Exclusions. The specific files involved are reported to be…

AclpConfig.DAT

Archive_AccConnAdvanced.html

AccConnAdvanced.html

Here is the source (posts by joby): http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=207359&page=7&highlight=high+processor+load

GreginMich

Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Hello,

i have lenovo T61 + Vista SP1 + Access Connections 5 + Microsoft forefront Client Security

And i also had msmpeng problems draining CPU.

I used FileMon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx) to see what is msmpeng.exe doing.

I found out that msmpeng is checking "AccConnAdvanced.html" file in  "C:\Users\Public\Documents" and after putting that folder to Exclusions, my problem was solved !

Best Regards

Nikola
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for that information, Nikola.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:10 PM
  • My computer's MSMPENG.exe is going at 99% CPU.My computer type is a Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU IBM. I have tried deleting some useless stuff.When I deleted the useless stuff, it became slower, but once I started running the game called "Maplestory", it went back to 99% CPU.I checked it by opening up windows task manager.I have anti-virus called Windows Security Essentials.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 4:52 PM
  • I assume that you mean Microsoft Security Essentials.

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.
    You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

If that fails to resolve the problem, open an email support case:

To open an email support case, start here:
    https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, April 5, 2010 2:33 PM