Training for Microsoft Visual studio.net 2010 or 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I am in IT field for the last 4 years I put all of my effort on networking and I did my N+ and CCNA and still preparing 70-640 and CCNP exam so I am week in programming field I started learning  visual studio 2005 by self study on  2008 then I grasp few knowledge and I stoped at that time, now I need to start visual studio.net from the scratch so that I can build in the future complex applications so please may you share with the best complete  video boot camp training / online classes  that  can prepare for me  to build small to large .net applications  and how many months do you think it will take to me to become programmer in .net

With Regards,

Friday, March 9, 2012 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

there are a lot of books available. I really liked these books:
    - SelfPaced Training Kits are great. They can give you a good understanding of a technology. So far I read these: 70-536, 70-505, 70-511, 70-515, 70-516, 70-503 (maybe 70-505 is no longer of interest because it targets Windows Forms, 70-503 is the old WCF book because the new one wasn't available last time I checked it.) and also 70-433 (SQL Server Datatabase developer)
    - Object Thinking of MS Press to get an overview about how to develop object oriented solutions
    - Microsoft .Net: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise (MS Press) to get an understanding what is important with object oriented applications
    - Agile Project Management with Scrum (Maybe not really required if you do not want to develop software in a small team - in which something like SCRUM is really good)

So you see: Just with books you can spend years reading ... But never forget to get practice, too! (That is a reason why I like the Self-Paced training kits - I am always spending some time after each chapter to play around with the covered technology)

Another important thing is to talk with others. I really learn a lot when I talk with colleagues or even through my active participation inside these forums. The important point here is, that you need to be famlar with the documentation provided. MSDn Library is a great location and I like to read a question and then look it up and even play around a little before answering!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

the best place to get started should be the Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 Training Course.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, March 9, 2012 10:52 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Although people can create .Net applications after a couple of months, it will more than likely take you a few years to be able to develop enterprise solutions. Becoming a good developer is something which is measured in years, not months.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:27 AM
  • The best answer is...it depends ;-)

The training course will give you an overview about certain technologies. Your first little application can be build within hours. A bigger project can take weeks/months. This depends on the requirements/complexity of the project and what technologies you're using, like ASP.NET, WPF, Silverlight, WCF, etc.

Depending on the technology there are a lot of resources. Most of the time the starting point will be the MSDN. Questions can be ask on (also depending on the technology) http://www.asp.net, http://www.silverlight.net, or in one of the forums here.

If you want to have something like a 'training application' you should create a scenario (like a blog engine for web applications) where you can use many different technologies and which can be extended with other components.

But remember, programming is a step-by-step process. To become familiar with some concepts/technologies can take a while. Sometimes you will learn a lot in a short time and sometimes it can take a while to understand a concept.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, March 9, 2012 10:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, March 9, 2012 10:51 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Books, training courses, videos, webcasts, blogs, MSDN Online, training kits.  All found via Google.

As Horizon stated, there are many technologies which can be used to create .Net applications.  You need to do some research and determine what technologies you want to use.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Ok, for ASP.NET you will find a lot of material and trainings on http://www.asp.net/. For desktop development I would recommend http://windowsclient.net/.

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:41 AM
    Answerer
  • Like Konrad said, there are many ways (depending on what you like).

My first starting point for a new technology is normally to look if a training course is available - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/gg299335

If I face any issues I google for it or search the MSDN. Also I have bookmarked several blogs about specific technologies.

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:49 AM
    Answerer
  • Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4 Training Kit

SQL Server 2012 Developer Training Kit Web Installer

SQL Server 2008 R2 Update for Developers Training Kit

Microsoft Virtual Academy

I also have a lot of links on my blog (http://blog.wharton.com.au)

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by Konrad NeitzelEditor Friday, March 9, 2012 10:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Friday, March 9, 2012 10:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 11:00 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:51 AM
  • thank you all.

May you please be tell me specific training kits (training Videos, ) that you used or you have an experience that they are good and can help me to become .net applications developer  

• Marked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the best place to get started should be the Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 Training Course.

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks .

How many months do you think it will take to build .net application If I put many efforts on this.

After this  training what will be the next can you please guide the ways forward after completing this course .

with regards.

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Although people can create .Net applications after a couple of months, it will more than likely take you a few years to be able to develop enterprise solutions. Becoming a good developer is something which is measured in years, not months.

Jeff Wharton

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:27 AM
  • The best answer is...it depends ;-)

The training course will give you an overview about certain technologies. Your first little application can be build within hours. A bigger project can take weeks/months. This depends on the requirements/complexity of the project and what technologies you're using, like ASP.NET, WPF, Silverlight, WCF, etc.

Depending on the technology there are a lot of resources. Most of the time the starting point will be the MSDN. Questions can be ask on (also depending on the technology) http://www.asp.net, http://www.silverlight.net, or in one of the forums here.

If you want to have something like a 'training application' you should create a scenario (like a blog engine for web applications) where you can use many different technologies and which can be extended with other components.

But remember, programming is a step-by-step process. To become familiar with some concepts/technologies can take a while. Sometimes you will learn a lot in a short time and sometimes it can take a while to understand a concept.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, March 9, 2012 10:35 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:29 AM
    Answerer
  • WHAT IS THE MATERIAL THAT CAN HELP ME TO start from the scratch till I can develop large enterprise .net applications like videos, books and online classes . 
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:33 AM
  • What language and technology do you want to use? Also, try to use some initiative and do some research using Google

Jeff Wharton

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:35 AM
  • in Other words what was the tools that help you to become .net prorammer.
    • Marked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 10:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, March 9, 2012 10:51 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Books, training courses, videos, webcasts, blogs, MSDN Online, training kits.  All found via Google.

As Horizon stated, there are many technologies which can be used to create .Net applications.  You need to do some research and determine what technologies you want to use.

Jeff Wharton

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:38 AM
  • I would like to develop applications on asp.net that uses sql server database and also Vb.net application that is not web application.
    • Marked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 10:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, March 9, 2012 10:51 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Ok, for ASP.NET you will find a lot of material and trainings on http://www.asp.net/. For desktop development I would recommend http://windowsclient.net/.

Answerer
  • http://tinyurl.com/7suej3d

Jeff Wharton

• thank you all.

May you please be tell me specific training kits (training Videos, ) that you used or you have an experience that they are good and can help me to become .net applications developer  

• Marked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Hi,

there are a lot of books available. I really liked these books:
    - SelfPaced Training Kits are great. They can give you a good understanding of a technology. So far I read these: 70-536, 70-505, 70-511, 70-515, 70-516, 70-503 (maybe 70-505 is no longer of interest because it targets Windows Forms, 70-503 is the old WCF book because the new one wasn't available last time I checked it.) and also 70-433 (SQL Server Datatabase developer)
    - Object Thinking of MS Press to get an overview about how to develop object oriented solutions
    - Microsoft .Net: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise (MS Press) to get an understanding what is important with object oriented applications
    - Agile Project Management with Scrum (Maybe not really required if you do not want to develop software in a small team - in which something like SCRUM is really good)

So you see: Just with books you can spend years reading ... But never forget to get practice, too! (That is a reason why I like the Self-Paced training kits - I am always spending some time after each chapter to play around with the covered technology)

Another important thing is to talk with others. I really learn a lot when I talk with colleagues or even through my active participation inside these forums. The important point here is, that you need to be famlar with the documentation provided. MSDn Library is a great location and I like to read a question and then look it up and even play around a little before answering!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Answerer
  • Like Konrad said, there are many ways (depending on what you like).

My first starting point for a new technology is normally to look if a training course is available - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/gg299335

If I face any issues I google for it or search the MSDN. Also I have bookmarked several blogs about specific technologies.

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:49 AM
    Answerer
  • Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4 Training Kit

SQL Server 2012 Developer Training Kit Web Installer

SQL Server 2008 R2 Update for Developers Training Kit

Microsoft Virtual Academy

I also have a lot of links on my blog (http://blog.wharton.com.au)

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by Konrad NeitzelEditor Friday, March 9, 2012 10:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Friday, March 9, 2012 10:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by fahad444 Friday, March 9, 2012 11:00 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 10:51 AM
  • Yeah - great point! I also have all the Training Kits on my system! They are available for all technology I think - I got them for Visual Studio, Windows Phone (There you can get 2 - a Basic and an Advanced one!) and Lightswitch.

It might not be that great for a complete beginner (Then some introductions are best in my eyes) but once you found a start it is a good point to look at. Also when a new version is available it can be good to look at the TrainingKit.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:57 AM
    Answerer
  • any training kits , videos, books or any helpful for the Visual studio .net for beginners to advanced please email to me fahad.abdillahi@gmail.com I will be appreciated 
    Friday, March 9, 2012 11:01 AM