CRM 4 Outlook Client crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having multiple problems with my CRM 4 Outlok client. I have it installed on 4 notebooks and it is not working right on any of them, but with 4 different problems...

Notebook1 - Will load and work for the first time but once Outlook has been closed and re-opened it crashes outlook when opening

Notebook2 - Hangs Outlook every now and again

Notebook3 - When opening Outlook it comes up that the CMS client add-in has failed and has been disabled - it was working for 3 days before this though

Notebook4 - Prompts for authentication - when you press cancel multiple times you get in

All notebooks are running Windows XP Pro, fully patched and with outlook 2007. I don't get any errors when installing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am testing with the Outlook client, both on-line and of-line.

It looks like it was a plug-in that was causing the problems.

I removed the Outlook business contact manager and it works fine on all notebooks.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ben

Sunday, July 6, 2008 11:31 PM

All replies

• Are you running the offline client or the online only client?  The offline client requires a lot more resources, and I wouldn't run it on anything with less than 2 GB of RAM.

As for the other errors, there are several things that can cause the problem.

If you upgraded from 3.0, did you completely remove the 3.0 client first?
    Have you tried running the configuration wizard again?
    Are the users who are having the problem opening Outlook in areas where they are not connected to the network?  I have found that sometimes when you do this, the CRM client tries to authenticate and gets stuck in that authentication mode next time you get on your network.  Typically running the configuration wizard again solves the problem.
    There is a diagnostic tool installed with CRM for Outlook (in start/programs/Microsoft Dynamics CRM)  Run it and see if there are any warning errors.
    Do they have any other Outlook plug-ins installed that may be conflicting?

Given that all of your users are having issues running the CRM for Outlook client, I recommend that you call Microsoft support.  There are several hotfixes for the Outlook client that have not been released to the public yet that they can provide as a fix to specific problems.  The fact that all of them are having trouble connecting via Outlook may indicate that there is something with your network that is preventing the CRM client from authenticating properly, since it is affecting all users. 

Thursday, July 3, 2008 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

I am testing with the Outlook client, both on-line and of-line.

It looks like it was a plug-in that was causing the problems.

I removed the Outlook business contact manager and it works fine on all notebooks.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ben

Sunday, July 6, 2008 11:31 PM