Used computer COA in VLK environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Please move this if I have it in the wrong forum.

Hi all, I am quite sure this has been asked before but I cant seem to find the exact question / scenario. we have just been asked to audit our sites hence the question.

Q. If we have an amount of Second hand PC's that we bought from Ebay with XP COA's XP pro on them are we able to re-image them with our VLK and media (XP SP3 Pro) and be covered by that COA on the Used PC?

Thanks

Martin

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:35 PM

Answers

• "Martin James" wrote in message news:69bc5d0b-c9d1-43b1-98ec-bcb3d124e71b...

Hello,

Hi all, I am quite sure this has been asked before but I cant seem to find the exact question / scenario. we have just been asked to audit our sites hence the question.

Q. If we have an amount of Second hand PC's that we bought from Ebay with XP COA's XP pro on them are we able to re-image them with our VLK and media (XP SP3 Pro) and be covered by that COA on the Used PC?

Thanks

Martin

Shouldn't be a problem, AFAIK - the license moves with the sticker, assuming the motherboard is the original.
    All VLK license are upgrades anyhow.
    Note that you will obviously have to re-image them back to the original OS if/when you pass them on to a third party or sell them on, so keep any media/recovery partitions, etc available if you can.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:55 PM

All replies

• "Martin James" wrote in message news:69bc5d0b-c9d1-43b1-98ec-bcb3d124e71b...

Hello,

Thanks

Martin

Shouldn't be a problem, AFAIK - the license moves with the sticker, assuming the motherboard is the original.
    All VLK license are upgrades anyhow.
    Note that you will obviously have to re-image them back to the original OS if/when you pass them on to a third party or sell them on, so keep any media/recovery partitions, etc available if you can.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hello Martin James,

AFAIK, +1 to what Noel posted.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:02 PM