locked
Problems importing Opportunities RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am having problems importing data to create new opportunities in CRM.  We currently build Excel call lists by exporting customer transaction data from our ERP software (our ERP system is not integrated with CRM). Instead I would like to use that data to create CRM opportunities so they could be more easily managed.  My problem is that very many of our customers/accounts have the same name (i.e. First Baptist Church, Calvary Chapel) and it appears that is the sole primary link used when opportunities are created.  I do have a unique account number that matches in the ERP and CRM systems.  How can I do this?  Our customer database is very large, so changing customer/account names is not realistic.
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:23 PM

Answers

  • When you import opportunities to CRM using the import wizard you can specify the Account Number (unique column in your case) to be used instead of the Account Name to identify the correct Account record.

    When mapping the fields, Click on the Lookup Icon for PArent Customer and then select Account-> Account Number instead of Account Name.

    Since you have not mentioned the import method, mentioned the import wizard in CRM which is simple yet powerful. If you use a custom solution (.NET / SSIS) for data import then you would have to retrieve the Accounts based on the Number (ERP/CRM) and then relate it with the opportunity.

    Hope this helps!


    If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

    • Marked as answer by MPBundy Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:48 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:20 PM

All replies

  • When you import opportunities to CRM using the import wizard you can specify the Account Number (unique column in your case) to be used instead of the Account Name to identify the correct Account record.

    When mapping the fields, Click on the Lookup Icon for PArent Customer and then select Account-> Account Number instead of Account Name.

    Since you have not mentioned the import method, mentioned the import wizard in CRM which is simple yet powerful. If you use a custom solution (.NET / SSIS) for data import then you would have to retrieve the Accounts based on the Number (ERP/CRM) and then relate it with the opportunity.

    Hope this helps!


    If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

    • Marked as answer by MPBundy Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:48 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Thanks for the help with Opportunities.  Now I am running into the same dilemma when importing Accounts and it appears I am not given the option of using the Account Number as the lookup.  I am unable to change the Our scenario is that accounts are created and assigned unique account numbers in our ERP software that is not integrated with CRM.  Again, very many of the accounts have the same name. 

    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:33 PM
  • When creating Opportunities you were able to use the Account Number to search for the related Parent Account lookup. However, when importing (create) Accounts, there is no existing record and there is no relationship to map using a lookup. CRM allows creation of Accounts with same name. Just map the excel column to Account Number in CRM, there is no need of a lookup here.

    Hope this helps.. let me know if you have any query


    If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:40 AM
  • After following your instructions for importing Opportunities using my account number as the primary/lookup field I noticed that a small percentage of my opportunity import records failed, mostly because either account or contact records did not exist in CRM.  I queried my ERP transaction data bases to pull all information required to create either account or contact records (we sell to both organizations (accounts) and individuals (contacts).  I then imported the information (not allowing duplicates) using the Import wizard, combined with import templates for both accounts and contacts.  I then tried to import the same opportunities (after bulk deletion of the prior attempts) and still experienced rejection records ("The lookup reference could not be resolved") and when I search for the records (account or contact) in CRM they do not exist.  I went back and looked at a handful of the records that rejected in my account and contact imports, and they were, in fact, rejected with the message "The lookup reference could not be resolved" thus my new submission to this forum.  Make sense?
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:24 PM
  • As I understand there are 2 different imports that fail with the same error message (The lookup reference could not be resolved)

    1. Opportunity import: You have already figured the cause of error i.e., the account that you are trying to map the opportunity to does not exist in CRM. Once those accounts come into CRM this import should go through.

    2. Account/Contact import: Check which lookup field you have in this data map. You get this error when the lookup field maps to a record that doesn't exist in CRM or when there are multiple records. You will not have account number to map with the Account lookup unless you are importing Sub-Accounts.

    Also worth checking the duplicate detection rules... they might be stopping the record creation on Account NAme and you had mentioned that you have duplicates there.

    hope this helps


    If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

    Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:37 AM