Raassociate backup files with a PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I searched but couldn't find an answer. I have a notebook that was connected to WHS and I've been getting backup failures because it hasn't been connected. The problem is the notebook was out for repair, then I reimaged the drive to a factory image when it was returned. I reinstalled WHS clinet on the notebook and completed all the Windows updates (Vista x64). I gave the computer the same name it had before the re-image but I can't reassociate the old WHS backup files with this PC.

It backs up fine but I'm still getting an error that the old computer isn't backing up. I know I could just stop the old machine from backing up in WHS but it seems the better way would be to tell WHS this notebook is the same as the old notebook. Any suggestions? TIA.

Regards-Michael G.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I searched but couldn't find an answer. I have a notebook that was connected to WHS and I've been getting backup failures because it hasn't been connected. The problem is the notebook was out for repair, then I reimaged the drive to a factory image when it was returned. I reinstalled WHS clinet on the notebook and completed all the Windows updates (Vista x64). I gave the computer the same name it had before the re-image but I can't reassociate the old WHS backup files with this PC.

It backs up fine but I'm still getting an error that the old computer isn't backing up. I know I could just stop the old machine from backing up in WHS but it seems the better way would be to tell WHS this notebook is the same as the old notebook. Any suggestions? TIA.

Regards-Michael G.

As you found out, the backups are not tied together by computer name, but rather a unique ID.  There is no way to combine the 2 backup sets together.  You should just delete the old computer (after making sure you recovered everything you need from that backup set).
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:20 PM