MSCRM3.0 Invalid XML Error . . RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Please help!
    Today, while accessing any of the 3 options (Customize Entities, Export Customizations, Import Customizations) under the

Setting > Customization tab, I received the following error:

The XML passed to the the platform is not well-formed XML

..again and again..

Then I have refer to the customization manual on Recovering From Errorstopic

the URL is: http://<server name>/tools/systemcustomization/importcustomizations/importcustomizations.aspx

...but to no avail.

Prior to this incident, what I did was:
    1. Exported all entity (system and custom) to my Desktop;
    2. Experiment with entity relationship in MS CRM ;
    3. Re-imported all the back up customization file. (no.1)

Before that, everything would turn out OK.
    Appreciate if you can explain the reason and best solution to fix this problem.

Regards
    Mr.Cosmic

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:04 AM

Answers

• The reason is probably that your experiment included adding something (fields, relationships or mappings). When you reimported your backup file it will not remove anything that already exists in CRM, it will only modfiy what's there, or add to it.

As to your best solution; that would be to restore the SQL backups of the metabase and mscrm databases you took before doing this. Otherwise you've got 3 options:

1. Try and correct the errors in the customisation file, and reimport; however this wouldn't work in all circumstances, e.g. if the relationship you created is not allowed to exist
    2. Go the metabase database and try fixing the errors directly in the sql tables by deleting what you'd added. This is not supported, and possibly risky, but may fix things
    3. Reinstall CRM and import your backup customisation file, but then you'll have lost all your data

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Do you also have backups of the METABASE database ? If so, just restore both the MSCRM and METABASE backups. You don't need to reinstall CRM or upload the customisations as all customisation information is within these 2 databases

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:54 AM
  •  

Dear David,

Thank you so much, now everything back to normal.

What im doing is..

1) Restore MSCRM.

2) Restore METABASE. ---- (Database Backup)

3) Upload CUSTOMIZATION File. ----- (Customization Backup)

Thank You David !!!   You are expert !!!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:39 AM

All replies

• The reason is probably that your experiment included adding something (fields, relationships or mappings). When you reimported your backup file it will not remove anything that already exists in CRM, it will only modfiy what's there, or add to it.

As to your best solution; that would be to restore the SQL backups of the metabase and mscrm databases you took before doing this. Otherwise you've got 3 options:

1. Try and correct the errors in the customisation file, and reimport; however this wouldn't work in all circumstances, e.g. if the relationship you created is not allowed to exist
    2. Go the metabase database and try fixing the errors directly in the sql tables by deleting what you'd added. This is not supported, and possibly risky, but may fix things
    3. Reinstall CRM and import your backup customisation file, but then you'll have lost all your data

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Hai David,
    Thanks for your quick response,

So they are 3 solution.
    Let say im using the 3rd one..

1) I reinstall the MSCRM and then
    2) Upload  the backup customization and then
    3) Restore back the database.

Posibble or not im lost all the data??
    Because everyday i do a backup for the database.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:24 AM
  • Do you also have backups of the METABASE database ? If so, just restore both the MSCRM and METABASE backups. You don't need to reinstall CRM or upload the customisations as all customisation information is within these 2 databases

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:54 AM
  •  

Dear David,

Thank you so much, now everything back to normal.

What im doing is..

1) Restore MSCRM.

2) Restore METABASE. ---- (Database Backup)

3) Upload CUSTOMIZATION File. ----- (Customization Backup)

Thank You David !!!   You are expert !!!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:39 AM