Problems installing "Group Chat Server" RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install the Group Chat Server by following the steps described in the paper by Jithendranath Reddy "How to Install Group Chat Server in OCS 2007 R2" the installation does not continue at a certain point:

at  the Point

Installing Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server

2. Install the Group Chat Server Role

j. On the Group Chat Databse page, in the Server\instance field, type the name of the SQL-Server and in the Database field type the name of the created Database and then click Next.

Clicking "Next" doesn't seem to do anything

Taking a trace on the SQL-Server shows that the last thing that happens
    is a SQL-Statement "select versionId from tblVersion"

Any idea what's going wrong ?

Any kind of help is very much appreciated

Best regards
    Harald
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:03 AM

Answers

• Hello Harald

I was in the right way. It is the operating system version which is giving you this headache. With windows 2003 in english version and sql server in english version, you will have no problems installing group chat, even if the ocs pool is in other language

Have luck :)

Regards
    • Marked as answer by Harald Benz Monday, May 25, 2009 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:05 AM

All replies

• Any errors in the event log?  What version of SQL are you using?
    Friday, March 27, 2009 6:58 PM
  • I couldn't find any error in the event log.

Version of SQL Server is 2005.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Did you check the database collation? This must be set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. Are you using a separte server for the SQL database?

more at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425252(office.13).aspx

Regards, Steven
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:00 PM
  • The database collation is set to the required value.

I use a seperate server for the SQL database.

Regards
    Harald
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Hi,
    I´m running in the same problem. Did you solve the problem?

I am using SQL Server 2005 Sp3 on a separate server and the database collation is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

The security log of the Group Chat Server shows these entries:

Log Name:      Security
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
    Date:          05.05.2009 14:23:00
    Event ID:      5152
    Task Category: Filtering Platform Packet Drop
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Audit Failure
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      GroupChatServer.domain.de
    Description:
    The Windows Filtering Platform blocked a packet.

Application Information:
     Process ID:  4
     Application Name: System

Date:          05.05.2009 14:23:00
    Event ID:      5157
    Task Category: Filtering Platform Connection
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Audit Failure
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      GroupChatServer.domain.de
    Description:
    The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a connection.

Application Information:
     Process ID:  4
     Application Name: System

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Ralf

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Unfortunately I wasn't able to solve the problem yet.

Best regards
    Harald
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Hello All

As you have said before, it is not a tcp/ip configuration problem. The group chat installation launches a query "select versionId from tblVersion" before creating the table in gcdb database. The result in this case is an sql select error, and the installation doesn´t continue.

I have experimented the error with windows 2008 spanish with sql express 2005 installed, and either with sql 2005 enterprise. It could be a locale problem, but i have also tested with english locale and nothing

There is a small trick. Before launching the installation, you can create an empty table named tblVersion with only one column versionId auto numbered. You can continue the installation and it tells you that the database is empty, and asks you to create the database context. The compliance table is named tblComplianceVersion, also with versionId column. If you want to install compliance server you have to create it also.

Unfortunately, later in the installation it gives you an error saying than principals are not provisioned, schema is not supported, and so on. I am still trying it. I will post if i find something

Any idea is apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:13 AM
  • Hello again:

I have made progress in the installation. The problem is in the sql database language. The installation scripts first executes sp_dropmessage without using @lang as variable, so it tries to delete a message that does not exist. If you manually delete 50002 message number from @lang='all', then the installation continues. Later it fails executing sp_addmessage also without lang variable, so installing group chat over a sql spanish database is not possible.

The next we can do is to install sql in english. The installation goes further without sp_addmessage errors, but it breaks in

exec

procInsertScopedByUri 1,'<ROOT><r id="ma-grp:723be3e7-8599-4b1b-9167-7d47b9765ba5@u.g"/></ROOT>',1

It tries to insert a principal in the computer, and it fails. So the windows in spanish is also not compatible with group chat server.

I'am trying now windows 2003 R2 english with sql 2005 english. I'll tell if it works.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

I appreciate your help very much.

Best regards
    Harald
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hello Harald

I was in the right way. It is the operating system version which is giving you this headache. With windows 2003 in english version and sql server in english version, you will have no problems installing group chat, even if the ocs pool is in other language

Have luck :)

Regards
    • Marked as answer by Harald Benz Monday, May 25, 2009 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:05 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

great job. Thanks a lot.

Best regards
    Harald
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hi.

I had the same problem, but it's not necesary to change sql language. It works changing the default language for the login of the user who makes the installation of group service in the database.

Regards
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

the suggested solution didn't work for me.

But thanks anyhow

Regards
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:53 AM