none
Vista Product Key Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Does anyone know if it possible to check if a Product Key is valid?

My laptop has died but the hard drive is working okay. I am trying to run my hard drive as a virtual machine but need to enter my Vista product key.

The key that is printed on the base of my laptop is damaged. I can make out 95% of the key, but two of the digits are hard to read.

I wondered if I could validate what I think the key is on-line ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, May 13, 2011 2:15 PM

Answers

• A Windows Vista OEM license will only be valid with the original computer hardware it was installed on.  The license cannot be transfered, not even to a Virtual Machine.  If the original computer experienced a hardware failure and cannot be repaired (such as your laptop), then the Windows Vista license is no longer valid and cannot be reused.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, May 13, 2011 6:47 PM

All replies

• A Windows Vista OEM license will only be valid with the original computer hardware it was installed on.  The license cannot be transfered, not even to a Virtual Machine.  If the original computer experienced a hardware failure and cannot be repaired (such as your laptop), then the Windows Vista license is no longer valid and cannot be reused.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, May 13, 2011 6:47 PM
  • "Diggerlowe" wrote in message news:69cd8abf-c221-4ccc-9d04-ae9265dae257...

Hi

Does anyone know if it possible to check if a Product Key is valid?

My laptop has died but the hard drive is working okay. I am trying to run my hard drive as a virtual machine but need to enter my Vista product key.

The key that is printed on the base of my laptop is damaged. I can make out 95% of the key, but two of the digits are hard to read.

I wondered if I could validate what I think the key is on-line ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Unless you use the manufacturer's recovery disks, you are reduced to trial-and error as far as inputting the Key is concerned.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, May 13, 2011 10:56 PM