What about using a Dell Vostro for your WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• The Vostro 200 mini-tower basic config can be had for $319. The Slim-tower is just a little more. That includes a 80GB HDD which can be upgraded to 500GB for $260. Of course you can get a 750GB from Fry's for $229 which is a much better deal. If you put 2 750GB HDDs in that would give you 1.5 TB which for lots of folks would be enough. More drives cab be added via USB ports if needed. Total price would be $320+$260=$580. A bit more than I'd like to spend but at least that way I would have new hardware instead of using old stuff just laying around. YOu could probably find some discount coupons to help lower the price.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:52 PM

All replies

•  TxDot wrote:
    The Vostro 200 mini-tower basic config can be had for $319. The Slim-tower is just a little more. That includes a 80GB HDD which can be upgraded to 500GB for $260. Of course you can get a 750GB from Fry's for $229 which is a much better deal. If you put 2 750GB HDDs in that would give you 1.5 TB which for lots of folks would be enough. More drives cab be added via USB ports if needed. Total price would be $320+$260=$580. A bit more than I'd like to spend but at least that way I would have new hardware instead of using old stuff just laying around. YOu could probably find some discount coupons to help lower the price.

I'm not sure what the question is but it seems to meet the minimum specs so it should work.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:53 PM
  • I was just wondering if anyone else had considered this as a solution and what their thoughts  were.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:57 PM
  •  TxDot wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone else had considered this as a solution and what their thoughts were.

Yes, it is a good consideration low price system for whom looking to price range.

Well, the upgrade hard disk (500gb) will be the issue tho if we still in low price range, but all in all is good.

My best.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:04 PM
  •  TxDot wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone else had considered this as a solution and what their thoughts were.

I wouldn't pay Dell that much for a 500G HDD when you know you can get one cheaper and install it yourself. YMMV

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:27 PM
  • I would get it with the 80GB HDD and then replace that with a 750GB HDD and then sell the 80GB HDD.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:39 PM
  •  TxDot wrote:
    I would get it with the 80GB HDD and then replace that with a 750GB HDD and then sell the 80GB HDD.

Well you could sell it or add it to the storage pool for some folder replication  You could keep it, in tact, in case you wanted to go back to the original Dell setup too. Either way, I wouldn't pay Dell, their price, for the 500G drive. Instead of one 750G drive you'd be better off with two 320's or 500's.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:24 PM
  •  SME wrote:
    TxDot wrote:
    I would get it with the 80GB HDD and then replace that with a 750GB HDD and then sell the 80GB HDD.

Well you could sell it or add it to the storage pool for some folder replication You could keep it, in tact, in case you wanted to go back to the original Dell setup too. Either way, I wouldn't pay Dell, their price, for the 500G drive. Instead of one 750G drive you'd be better off with two 320's or 500's.

Good point about keeping it intact in case I needed to use it for it's original purpose. I agree wholeheartedly about not paying Dell for the extra HDD. That's why I pointed out that a larger capacity drive could be purchased from Fry's for less money.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Good ol' Fry's...unless you have to return something... Wink

Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:32 PM
  • $580,- plus cost for the WHS licence (150,- guess). Well thats $730,- ...I would wait for the announced manufacturers looking at the price.

Friday, July 20, 2007 3:59 AM
  • It's going to be interesting to see what HP and others charge for their WHS appliances. Hopefully they'll offer a low end with zero or one HDD but with the ability for the user to add additional HDDs as they need it. I'm certain we can buy HDDs for less than the manufactures will charge as evidenced by the Dell situation mentioned earlier in this thread. Maybe at some point the case manufactures will offer barebone cases designed to build a WHS appliance with support for the very small motherboards such as the pico-ATX or mini-DTX. Hot swap drive trays would also be good. I guess all this hinges on the reaction of the market once WHS goes GA. I think the price point is going to have to be low enough that the general public will pay. The reality is most people DO NOT do backups. The only way to change this is to make these devices really easy to use and affordable.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:45 PM
  •  photoexposer wrote:

$580,- plus cost for the WHS licence (150,- guess). Well thats $730,- ...I would wait for the announced manufacturers looking at the price.

You'd have to pay ME to buy one of the pre-made headless units. I'm just not interested in them at all. I'd rather build my own no matter what the price. YMMV
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:06 PM