Can you restore programs from WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I converted from Vista Uttimate to Windows 7.  Can I restore program from a WHS backup to my computer?  I tried restore and that did not work by simply restoring the program folders....there are some programs I had that I cannot locate the original disk for.... Thanks!
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:16 PM

All replies

• No. Restoring an application is almost always much more involved than simply restoring some files. Modern applications hook into the host operating system in numerous ways, and Windows Home Server is not able to restore those interconnections by simply restoring a few files.

The usual course of action would be to restore the entire computer to it's previous state, then perform an in place upgrade of the operating system. This will usually do a much better job of maintaining the installed software.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:24 PM
  • How about hidden user files, such as Outlook data files...when I go to restore them I cannot see them in the backup/
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Do you have Show hidden files and folders turned on, and Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) turned off? By default your Outlook pst files will be in e.g. Z:\Users\SmackoWV\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook on Windows Vista (or the XP equivalent), and AppData is a hidden folder.

I've confirmed that my outlook files are visible in a backup of my workstation...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:11 PM