backup storage drive problem RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011 partitioned my C drive and uses the second partition for backups until full,then fails backups even though there are 3- 1T drives available which are all empty and show up in the dashboard.What am I doing wrong ? I had used the old WHS without a problem and just this week went to the new software,I am tempted to go back to the old version if this is as good as it gets.My other thought ,if WHS 2011 is using up the 2nd partition of the OS drive for backups,where will the space needed for shared folders come from ?
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:02 PM

Answers

• hicapman

You need a different thought process for WHS2011 compared to WHS1. There is no concept of drive pooling so each disk/partition is given a different drive letter. Dependant upon the amount of data you need to store , its up to you to tell WHS2011 where to put it. In the Dashboard under the "Server Folders and Hard Drives" tab look at "Server Folders" (I guess they are all showing as being located on your D: drive). Select one of the folders and in the panel on the right select "Move the Folder" and follow the Wizard. This allows you to tell WHS to use your other disks - it is not done automatically.

Hope that helps

Phil

P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21 Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by hicapman Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:05 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:50 PM

All replies

• hicapman

You need a different thought process for WHS2011 compared to WHS1. There is no concept of drive pooling so each disk/partition is given a different drive letter. Dependant upon the amount of data you need to store , its up to you to tell WHS2011 where to put it. In the Dashboard under the "Server Folders and Hard Drives" tab look at "Server Folders" (I guess they are all showing as being located on your D: drive). Select one of the folders and in the panel on the right select "Move the Folder" and follow the Wizard. This allows you to tell WHS to use your other disks - it is not done automatically.

Hope that helps

Phil

P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21 Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by hicapman Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:05 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Thank you Phil,Your answer worked.   Client Backup Service stopped working when the drive was full,I did a fresh install to start over,Followed your suggestions and now the server is running fine,backing up 6 computers in our home network,   Thanks again    hicapman 
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:09 PM